what to do now?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

what to do now?

Postby percmd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 pm

ok, i have two, 5 gallon batches of wine going since Aug. 8th. They have been racked twice now, i noticed the check valves no longer sticking to the top of the valve, so the gases have diminished. :?: Is it time to bottle these guys or is it ok for them to stay in the carboy? :?: I don't have a sulfite test kit yet but will get it if i have to order bottles anyway.
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:34 pm

What type of wine? Kits or fruit? Any sulfite additions, degassing, clearing additives?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:46 am

If they are kits, and you don't make wine often, just follow the directions exactly. These kits are manufactured to be in the bottle quickly.

If they are not kits, you'll have to present a time-line with everything you've done so everyone can determine what you need to do next.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby percmd » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Fruit wine, not kits and an internet recipe for Honey Meade, crushed 5 campden tablets in the beginning must, 5 tspn. yeast nutrient, 5 tspn. acid blend, 5 tspn. pectic enzyme, and of course sugar. No clearing agents. Just noticed they weren't gassing off anymore.

First attempt at anything was what i named Ghetto A** Honey Meade:
Yeast - Fleischmann's Baker's Yeast (Yeh, i know, laugh it up)
Start - 8-06-09 (didn't take an SG because i hadn't done my homework at the time).
Rack 1 - 9-24-09
Rack 2 - 10-01-09

After homework - Blackberry fruit wine
Yeast - RC 212 Bourgovin
Start - 9-13-09 SG 1.085
Rack 1 - 9-23-09 SG 0.990
Rack 2 - 10-01-09 (didn't take a SG, can't remember why)
percmd

Postby aleguy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:56 am

good luck. I made some elderberry wine in August of '08 and it's still in the carboy. I suspect I have autolysis at this point.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:12 am

How do they taste? How clear are they. If they are not clear yet, get some super clear, wait for them to clear then rack them one final time. Then adjust the taste. Sulfite is a must if your gonna age them at all.

If you like the taste, then your good to go. Otherwise, get an acid test kit. The blackberry should probably be in the 0.50-0.60% range, the other one should be in the 0.55-0.65% range. Add acid if its too low, add Potassium Bicarbonate if its too high.

There is a wine club in town (several of us are members), and there is a wine club website (also run by me). You may want to post it over there. The wine club members don't necessarily read over on this site.

http://www.lwmg.org

But there are enough wine makers here to get you on the right track, but most of the award winning wine makers are in the wine club only and don't dabble in beer.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby percmd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for that bit of information. I find they taste really good, well, by my standards anyway! LOL! I have an acid test kit, but i'm not really sure how to use it correctly. It seems like a lengthy, tedious test, but if it was correct, i was within my limits on both.
percmd

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum