Poppin' my beer cherry!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Poppin' my beer cherry!

Postby percmd » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:52 pm

Brewing my first batch of beer tomorrow, wish me luck! It's an all grain kit from MidWest Supply, Belgian Witbier. And thanks Kevin @ Marcello's for answering my questions the other day, from Patterson,LA. Hope to make the National Brew Day next Saturday to see some brewing in action.
percmd

Postby aleguy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:52 am

good luck. Most people wouldn't have started with all-grain. You're in for a long day. Don't let the stuck trolls get to your mash. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:37 am

give us a update on your brew day.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:01 pm

+1
aleguy

Postby percmd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Everything went well. :D Kept things sterile as i usually do with my wine ops. Didn't take as long as i thought it would, good gossip helps the time pass! S.G. was 1.042 to 1.044 give or take. Just transfered to the carboy, filtered through a pantyhose cutting. Topped off with about 1/4 gallon of Kentwood bottle water. It smells awesome, the wifey likes the citrusy aroma it's throwing. Question time: when siphoning to the carboy i noticed alot of aeration(bubbles) in the brew, is that acceptable? :? I cranked on the siphon a couple times to keep it down to a minimum. I know with wine you want minimal oxygenation when racking, but is it ok with beer, since it continues to ferment once bottled? Also, when i bottle, how much head space should i leave in the bottle neck?
percmd

Postby percmd » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:50 pm

aleguy wrote:good luck. Most people wouldn't have started with all-grain. You're in for a long day. Don't let the stuck trolls get to your mash. :wink:

by the way, what's the "stuck trolls"? i'm not familiar with the brew community lingo at all... but i'll be workin' on it!
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 am

He's referring to a stuck mash. Not sure its real brewer lingo, or just aleguy lingo. :) Either way, hope you never meet them, but in my experience, its not a question of IF you will ever get a stuck sparge, its WHEN.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:38 am

You want to maximize oxygenation when you first brew. The yeast like a lot of O2. You don't want any air to get into the beer after that however. Don't worry about the air in the head space of the bottle though. Live yeast will take care of that. And if you let the bottles sit for a few minutes before you seal the caps, enough CO2 should come out of solution to displace the air, or most of it anyway.
Home brew is always better than store bought. Even when it's horrible.
aleguy

Postby percmd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:52 am

Bottled the brew Sunday evening. That was a nice experience, the whole family got involved! My boys, 13 & 10, had a blast playing assembly line with the bottles, caps & capper! My wife helped me fill the bottles, awesome little tool for filling bottles i might add! It was a very pleasing experience for all of us. Who would have known, beer can bring a family together!!!!
percmd

Postby percmd » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am

Question: How long do they have to sit in the bottles now before we can put some in the fridge for tasting? It is a Belgian Witbier, FYI.
percmd

Postby redtail28 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 am

At lease two weeks at room temp.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby percmd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:02 pm

One more week to go before refrigerating. Held them up to the light, has a nice witbier haze to it and a film on the bottom the thickness of a layer of paint as it should. I hope the carbonation goes well.
percmd

Postby percmd » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:45 pm

now that i've done a little bit of reading, i realized i hadn't given the correct information when i started this. it was a malt extract/grain kit i started with. my bad, i did not know the difference between "all-grain" and "malt extract" brewing at the time i wrote this thread. after watching a few videos, now i understand why someone commented about all-grain brewing and good luck since it is something a beginner wouldn't attempt. but trust me, if i had all the equipment, i probably would have! LOL! just my nature, like playing poker, i'm usually "All In" when i do something! if you're gonna do it, do it BIG! thanks for all of the wonderful tid-bits of information i have gotten so far. this is a unique little world of brilliant people coming together to share a passion that most men love, BEER! it's awesome to watch something go from scratch to finish, it has more meaning to it when you sit back and pop the top...
percmd

Postby aleguy » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:08 am

When you're ready to dip your toes into the world of all-grain, we can loan you some equipment so you won't have to put so much money out up-front until you're sure that's the way you want to go.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum