La Only Club Brew Contest 2010

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

La Only Club Brew Contest 2010

Postby Wombatpix » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:30 pm

It's time to start coming up with our club's entry for the Louisiana Only Club Brew Contest for 2010. We will need to have the final choice for the brew by December. That means submissions need to come now, and voting will begin in November. A letter will be sent to the other Louisiana Brew clubs for their submission. This was a great and fun competition last year, there were over 80 brews submitted and judged, afterwards, we enjoyed a Crawfish boil with all the judges and club members that helped with the competition. The after party will be discussed at the December meeting. We will again do ribbons for all 1st thru 3rd place winners, and the top 3 beers with a best of show.
This year, for something completely different, we will have a "monster brew", something that fits in none of the BJCP guidelines. It will be a "Chop Suey" beer, 3 BJCP style beers, blended any way you want (chopsticks optional).
Last years competition was the second Saturday in May, I'm guessing we are working on a similar date for this competition. Yes, you must be a Club member to participate.
Let the suggestions BEGIN!
Wombatpix

Postby aleguy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:57 pm

Kentucky Common! No, wait, that's not a recognized style. Ummm, IIPA!
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Wombatpix » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:05 pm

My thoughts are Belgian Wit or Belgian Strong Ales....hmmm.... theme going there.
Wombatpix

Postby thebuddrik » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:00 pm

My vote is Belgian Strong Ale, partly because I have 12 gallons going as I type this :lol:
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 am

Hmmmm....maybe something that is traditionally drank during the hot months....May is wheat beers.....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby redtail28 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:17 am

My vote is for a Kolsch
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:48 pm

I think the same rules should apply as last year. No lagers. That way everyone can participate. I still like IIPA, but I'm willing to bow to the majority, as long as it isn't a 100% brown malt brown ale. :wink:
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:32 pm

Technically it's an Ale fermented with larger yeast then lagered. I have room to larger 2 or 3 carboys for any club members.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:30 am

I wasn't referring to your post. I know Kolsch is an ale. I just wanted to be sure no one suggested a lager style. 8)
aleguy

Postby BayouBrew » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm working on getting my club's submission, if we're still invited. Also, do we want to try to get prizes donated for the winners? You may not know that all of our club's funds came from selling/raffling items that were donated to the club. I got over $3000 worth (retail value) of merch from various breweries, homebrew shops, etc. I could send a list of people that were receptive, or I could even do the leg work. Let me know.
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:58 pm

BayouBrew wrote:I'm working on getting my club's submission, if we're still invited. Also, do we want to try to get prizes donated for the winners? You may not know that all of our club's funds came from selling/raffling items that were donated to the club. I got over $3000 worth (retail value) of merch from various breweries, homebrew shops, etc. I could send a list of people that were receptive, or I could even do the leg work. Let me know.

Of course ya'll are still invited!
We had breifly talked about prizes last year, thanks for the offer, I'll bring this up at our next meeting.
Thanks brotha
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:12 am

We had prizes last year! I still have mine. If I would have thought about it, I would have given it to you guys so you could use it in Houston last weekend.
No one sells White Labs yeast here so I have no way to do anything with my prize from last year.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:52 am

Are we going to have an official nomination thread or is this it? If it is, I vote on Belgian Dark Strong Ale.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby Wombatpix » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:03 am

Was hoping to get a general list from this forum then put all the suggestions on a voting page.
Wombatpix

Postby BayouBrew » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:45 am

aleguy wrote:We had prizes last year! I still have mine. If I would have thought about it, I would have given it to you guys so you could use it in Houston last weekend.
No one sells White Labs yeast here so I have no way to do anything with my prize from last year.

Send all of those unused White Labs coupons up to me. I'd be happy to take care of redeeming that for you :) .
I was talking about bigger prizes. I can't guarantee what we could get, but my club got a ton of shirts and hats, a corny keg, carbonator caps, beer tube, tap handles, gift certs, extract kits, posters, beersmith keys, etc. I'm sure that we could get some interesting stuff on top of the bragging rights.
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum