Brewstock

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Brewstock

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:57 am

The wife had a job in New Orleans this past weekend. I tracked this place down to check it out. I dont know if anyone in the club had been there but I was impressed! For such a small store he had soo much stuff in it!

http://www.brewstock.com/

He had all the usual DME, liquid extract, beer hose kegs, ect...

I pretty good selection of hops and yeast (dry and liquid)

I was impressed with his specialty grain dispensing :D

I will be sure to go back whenever I have cash in my pocket :D
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am

Nice shop. I've been trying to convince Kevin to do that for a while now.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:57 am

I dunno guys, I sort of worry about the freshness of the ingredients when they are stored in those self serving bins like that. They are not air tight, they are transparent, they obviously from the pics get direct sunlight on them. Same thing for his bulk LME that he has bottled himself. Those bottles are oxygen permeable, and they don't block any UV. I'd buy cans over those any day.

Maybe if he can rotate his stock fast enough, it may work well, but when you go to defalco's in houston, they have lots of traffic, but you can still find layers of dust on most of their merchandise.

Best of luck to him, but I'm not sure I'd buy specialty grains there.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 pm

It's just a matter of application. Airtight bins that are impervious to light, and LME packaged in re-useable containers are easy enough to do. My point is that I have been trying to convince Kevin to turn that back stock room into a home brew center so he can carry a wider selection. (Especially keg parts and 55 lb sacks of grain.)
All they need is another shipping container out back to put their spirits in and they could move the beer overstock. He could even get the shipping container filled with corny kegs from Chi company.
It might be a while before he ran out of kegs if he did that. 8)
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:38 pm

The price for bulk grains is not bad
for two row judging from the picture. I have freinds that come to
Lafayette every week from New Orleans.
I also pick up grain bends like the ones with the blue lids
Because some jerk bought all the lids to the orange buckets
from Home Depo. Their not air tight but i put sticky
weather strip under the lid. So far no bugs not as fresh
as buckets probably not.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:52 pm

If that is American 2-row, it is a lot more expensive than North Country Malt. I bet even Kevin could get it for you for less. You just have to wait longer and hope he doesn't forget it when he orders.
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:48 pm

No check the price list from the bulk buy.
Pale and two row average about 34 to 38>
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:05 am

Just a reminder. Support your local LHBS. Kevin can get everything we need, can match most prices out there, and is right here in Lafayette. Over the past 2 years, he has been expanding radically with his supplies. I've been pushing him for equipment. He is now a distributor for blichmann, and foxx equipment. He won't carry much equipment till people start buying from him online, but the stuff he is carrying is very nice quality, and I've been trying to give him my online business.

Nope, I don't get a cut of his profit, but I'm darn glad to be able to drive down the street when I find that I forgot something in the middle of a brew.

You know what blichmann makes, but check out the foxx catalog. I like the way they sell pieces parts and adapters for everything we use (things I have never seen before). They are wholesale only, but Kevin can order anything from them.

http://foxxequipment.com/cart/shop.cgi/page=BrowseCatalog.html/SID=1246622839.28862
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:06 am

Man! That Fox catalog has some stuff in it! :shock:
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:39 am

Okay, Redtail, you are right about the price of American 2-row. I thought I remembered it being $20 a sack. As far as Kevin matching or beating anyone else's price, forget it. The last time I ordered grain from him it was $65 for a sack. The same from North Country was about $25 less with shipping.
I'm all for supporting my LHBS, the problem is they don't really support me.
I can't find much of what I'm looking for when I go there, and when I special order something it gets forgotten. I'm just out of luck after waiting three weeks for an order to come in. Forget about walking in and picking up a few minor keg parts. If you need an o-ring or gasket for a keg, you either have to pay $8 shipping for a 25 cent part, or drive to Houston and get it from Defalco's.
Foxx does have some interesting items, but you have to know what they are and how they work before ordering. (I'm thinking the pin-lock to ball-lock converters, etc.) There's nothing in their catalog that tells you what something is for, just a description of what it is. They also don't post prices, so there's no way to comparison shop. I would love to know what they sell their 3-gallon kegs for, so I could compare it to other vendors' prices.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Agreed he can't match prices on grain, but most LHBS shops can't, thats why we do the bulk buy.

As far as parts go and what they are for, ask here. I'm sure we have enough eyes on board to tell you everything you want to know about kegging, keg parts, and such. For my part, I'm almost always looking for a part that I already have in hand that is broken or needs replacement. The catalog makes it easy.

Suggestion for anyone in kegging. Have spare parts on hand. I order from Kevin because I plan in advance, and even defalco's doesn't carry all the parts I need sometimes. Plan in advance locally, and never worry about paying 8 bucks shipping for a .25 cent part.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby brewstock » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi all-

This is Aaron owner/operator of Brewstock in New Orleans. I just saw this thread and thought I'd comment quick on it.

As far as storage of goods in my shop- All bulk liquid is turned over in less than 7 days. I turn over almost all my basic ingredients in less than a two weeks-hops, liquid yeast, base malt. Malt is not stored near any windows. If it doesn't move in 7 days, it gets vacuum sealed and or gets a tear off closure inside the lid. I place an order for a pallet of stuff weekly. I would say that my shop may actually carry the freshest stuff in America. I move product fast, and order every 7 days. It's a small space, it just works out that way. I never order in bulk, and when I do I move it fast by selling at or near cost...like on the grains.

As for grain storage- the grains have their own room. Always less than 70 degrees, and low humidity. No windows, just 4 walls and a door. Again, I only buy grain I can move in less than a month in sacks. Everything else is by the lb, and kept fresh.

Buying from a large shop (deFalco's, MoreBeer, Midwest) almost always puts you at a disadvantage in terms of freshness. Go to one of those stores and look how long their stuff sits.

That said, always, always, always try and support your LHBS. From so many stand points it makes no sense to order online - quality, freshness, keeping a local shop in business so you've got a place to go for the small stuff, money spent back in to t e community, environmentally...the upside doesn't end.

I've never met Kevin, but I'm sure he appreciates your business!

Happy Homebrewing!
Aaron
brewstock

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the update. And welcome to the board. Its good to hear that you can rotate the stock like that. The homebrew market in New Orleans must have picked back up.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby brewstock » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:41 pm

Yeah, moving stock isn't the hard part, keeping up with it in 650 sq ft is though. I just stock what I need to get through a week and reorder. Keeps everything fresh. I don't know another homebrew store that does it.

Both homebrew clubs (MKOB and CCH) have between 30-50 members, not to mention all the wine makers and distillers in the area, so yeah, I've got a good amount of homebrewers in my general metro area. Also helps to have 3 large universities with students looking for something fun to do. My website store has been down a few months but soon you'll see it back up if you want an idea of what is carried in store.

If you guys ever have any questions, or need anything, or just want to stop by, please feel free to get in touch with me. Like I said, I get pallets from Crosby and Baker (you can see their items on their site without prices) once a week. I place orders on Sundays and things come in on Wednesday. I have accounts with every grain, yeast and home brew supplier in the US (and Canada) if you're having a hard time tracking something down.

I hope all is good over that way...need to get back over there to do some more canoeing and fishing.

Cheers,
Aaron
brewstock

Postby aleguy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:10 am

Hmm, we need to send Kevin down there on a fact-finding tour. . . :wink:
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum