Brewday 3/9

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Brewday 3/9

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 pm

Sorry I missed the meeting guys, I planned a brewday and didn't realize the meeting would be that day. I was sort of misled, but that's mostly my fault for trusting the judgment of a drunken DYS member.
So, thanks Yeastmeister and Redtail28, your company and help was welcome. I'm sure the laughs made it well worth it. For those of you who weren't there the night was filled with problems, from too little sparge water, to my bazooka t in the boilkettle clogging up with hops.
We ended up pouring everything into the fermentor, cold break material and all.
I tranfered the next day and came out with about 4 gallons. I aerated and pitched (pac man). This morning 18hrs after pitching I was getting about a bubble a minute, Krauesen had just started to form. At 9:00 the Krauesen has almost covered and is about a 1/2 inch thick.
I'm not sure if I should be worried, I really just expected a faster start and a more "vigorosely" fermentation by now.

IIPA
Measured Original Gravity: 1.101 SG
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:50 am

No worries, depending on the temperature of the wort, it can take a while for the bubbles to start, some of the co2 is being absorbed into the liquid. As long as you saw any bubbles, and any krausen, your safe to go. I'd bet that even with only 4 gallons in the carboy you have plenty of krausen by now, maybe even some blowoff. With a wort that thick, the surface tension is going to keep the bubbles around longer.

Heck, post us a pic!
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:11 pm

Nevermind
I think it's safe to say it's fermenting.
Eat yeasties eat.
triple-oh_six

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Well, finally kegged up. Finished a bit high though.

SG:1.101
FG:1.043
ABV:7.62
IBU:89.8
I expected 1.020 FG at the highest. Nothing really went as expected on this brew though.

It tasted sweet, but hopefully with some ageing it will mellow out and taste more balanced.
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:39 pm

was that a small batch? or is your carboy just really big?
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:55 pm

aleguy wrote:was that a small batch? or is your carboy just really big?

No, it was supposed to be a 5 gal batch.
Due to some "slight" f-ups it ended up being a bit short. Instead of diluteing it down to get my volume I stuck with what I got.

I'm hopeing that my next brew will be more successful.
triple-oh_six

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum