Join the Brew Scouts and drink in the world

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby aleguy » Fri May 22, 2009 9:20 am

No worries. I was just trying to get a handle on it. I figured $10 or less per patch, but not at 50 per order. That's a bit too much for our infant organization. It looks like embroidered patches are out then.
I still think we could just print them as needed on the fabric that is designed for computer printers. If we limit them to four per page, that would leave enough fabric for them to fit in an embroidery hoop for anyone who wanted to embroider it themselves. Otherwise, they can just cut it out.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby BayouBrew » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:31 am

Just wanted to give this a bump because I still think that it is a great idea. So maybe the embroidered patches aren't the best option, but I like the idea of making a printable badge instead then putting it on a beer cap or something and coating it to protect it. This way your club doesn't have to deal with the hassel. I also like the idea of using this method to make magnets for your keggerater, and badges for your sig is cool too, especially if we could get other forums to allow it too. I think that this idea could really take of if you open it up to the BN, and it could be a nice fund-raiser for your club.
BayouBrew

Postby aleguy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:35 pm

We just need to find the time and a competent artist. I personally would like to iron a few things out before we open it up. For one thing, the merit badges should be damn difficult for most adults to achieve. You shouldn't just be able to buy your way to a hop-cone hat full of badges. (That's my personal favorite. Instead of sashes or whatever, we sew our badges onto the petals of a giant hop cone made into a hat. "We are the cone heads! consume mass quantities! Of beer!")
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 am

Just in case you haven't noticed this yet

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 653d15db9c

They're under the avatar, I love this idea

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... 06#p153706

We could still make physical ones but these are cool
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:46 pm

Nice idea, but I think we would run out of room for them on the forum. Once you get a dozen or so, a single line post would take a full page.
aleguy

Postby BayouBrew » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:48 pm

They could be smaller and put in the sig though. Just a thought. I have no skill in this area.
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Yeah. Hmm. I'll leave this one to the leadership to decide. I really don't care much either way. I'd just like to get our basic framework in place so we can let this puppy out. I'm pretty sure it will go viral almost immediately.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:08 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Printable-F ... 068&sr=8-1
These are the iron on fabric sheets aleguy was talking about. Looks like a pretty good way to go.

That's my $.02 anyway.

Looking forward to seeing what you folks come up with!

Cheers,
Dave
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:45 pm

That works out to about $1 per badge if we print four per page. I wonder if we can get printable fabric that's not iron-on. I also think we can either find it cheaper or at least locally. Either way, we need badge designs and requirements. Anyone have any art skills out there?
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:36 pm

I'm not bad, I'll try to sketch something up when I get a chance.
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:02 pm

Like you even have time to scratch your own jewels. :lol:
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:54 pm

Got a list of the badges you'd be wanting?

Cheers,
Dave
In extreme circumstances, the assailants can be stopped by removing the head or destroying the brain. I will repeat that: by removing the head or destroying the brain. - News Anchor, Shaun of the Dead
GuitarLord5000

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:29 pm

aleguy wrote:Like you even have time to scratch your own jewels. :lol:

This is true
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:44 am

Okay, the last time I tried this, the network booted me off. We need badges for Troop 1 WOMBAT. I'm thinking a wombat with a corny in its pouch. Brewstand build, automation adaptation, Frankenstein Design, Brewhouse invention and each of the major style catecories (not substyles) as well as "Strange Brew" for other things not covered by the BJCP.
I know that's a lot of badges, but I think we can leave the beer badges on hold for a bit since I think you should have to place in at least a state competition in each of the sub styles to earn the style badge.
Strange brew will of course have separate requirements.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:46 am

Hey! No feedback? The merit badges were just me spit-balling ideas, Does anyone like them? Hate them? Have other ideas for badges? What? I'm starting to feel as if I'm running a one-man show here.
C'mon guys, have a few and come up with some ideas or at least let me know what you think.
aleguy

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum