No more flamethrowers!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

No more flamethrowers!

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:19 am

Ok guys, Red gets credit for this, I'm just the one documenting it. For those of us that have been struggling with pilot lights and their amazing ability to become a flame thrower, or put out clouds of soot, I present to you.......a real pilot light! 0006, do me a favor and post a pic of your current pilot light in action as a flame thrower so that they understand the comment.

Front of the bag.

Back of the bag. Picked up at Coburn's downtown.

Whats in the bag. As it comes. The piece with the red dot is the propane orifice, the other piece is something to hold a thermoprobe in the flame.

Take it apart, and you find an orifice with a blue dot, thats the natural gas one. there is also a compression ring that fits 1/8" copper tubing.

Switch the orifices, cause I have propane.

This is how they pieces fit together with the copper prior to compressing it all together.

All together, ready to be mounted in the stand.

Here it is installed in one of my burners, yes, its on, its burning to clean that you can't even see the flame in the light.

Turned out the lights, sorry for the blur, its the best I could do holding the camera by hand. Here is the small burner. This side gets gas right out of the regulator. Note that I am using low pressure propane regulators on my stand.

Here is the large burner. It burns with a little orange on this side because of the way I was trying to control the prior flame thrower. This side gets gas from in between the needle valve that controls the burner and the regulator, so its lower pressure than the other side. Its still burning clean however, with no soot.

I've seen these on Reds system in action. He is using high pressure regulators and burners. His burn blue and clean, and he does have the ability to turn them up so that the flame gets a little larger, but it still burns clean.

$28 bucks at Coburn's, but well worth it in my opinion.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:34 pm

I thought you converted to high-pressure regulators.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Sort of. I have 4 burners, the 2 on the stand are low pressure, those are the ones controlled by the controllers. The 2 others are manual turn on/off, they are high pressure. Since they are manual, no pilot necessary on them.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:31 am

Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum