Remote Control of you PC from Anywhere

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Remote Control of you PC from Anywhere

Postby Mob_Barley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:07 am

After reading Yeastmiester's entry about being able to log into his home computer from anywhere and control his fermentation processes, I found this FREE program at giveawayoftheday.com. This is a great site to bookmark, it offers a new program each day for free. Just take a look at it and decide if the programs are of interest to you, and if so, download it and follow the instructions in the readme.txt to register it. It's only free for one day so if you want this program, you need to download it today only. It's called Anyplace Control and regularly sells for $39.95. If you think you may need it in the future, it might be something you want to download now and use whenever you have the technology in place to monitor and control your brewing processes remotely.

Cheers
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:12 am

Ok, the brewer hat is coming off, and I'm putting on my security guy hat....

I looked at that program, and it appears as though it will do as it says. A quick google search doesn't seem to show any glaring flaws.

Although I will include one little addition, I'm accessing my fermentation controller directly, and not taking control of my PC, although I can. I'm a security guy, so my home networking stuff is enterprise class. However, most modern consumer firewall/routers you get these days have a feature called port forwarding. You can easily set up a port forward on any of these machines to allow only a single device to be seen from the outside world.

In other words, if your so inclined to do the same thing as I do, you can hook any network device onto the net and not worry about anyone accessing your PC. Worst that could happen is that someone hacks your fermentation fridge. Probably not the most tempting target in the world.

I'd recommend that everyone on a broadband connection should have a hardware based firewall/router and not simply plug your cable modem/DSL modem into your PC.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:27 am

Myself, I don't plan on doing what you are doing with remote control of my fermentation processes. Unless it's a high maintenance fermentation where I need to ramp the temperatures, stir the lees, oxygenate or add nutrients on a schedule, I'm a "low tech, leave it till it's done plus a few days" kind of homebrewer. I do monitor it, measure it and talk to it, but other than that, I just forget about it. But, JUST IN CASE, they'll have the software FREE and your expertise (have we discussed making you president for life) to help them with the security issues.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 pm

lol. I actually did this because I frequently get called out of town on a moments notice. Several of the beers I make (the award winning ones), have fermentation schedules that call for starting high, then chilling slowly and letting it finish. My Wit for instance, starts at 68F, and then drops over the next 2 days to 50F. Also gives me the chance to do a diacetyl rest on my lagers, or cold crash them down to 35F for chill haze removal prior to transfer all without me doing anything else other than logging in an changing things.

Nothing I hate worse than making a batch of beer, thinking that I am going to be around for a while, only to have a darn hurricane spawn, and I disappear for weeks. That happened with my last hefe, and the thing fermented way to hot. Its an ok hefe, but not up to my normal standards.

For me, its all about repeatability.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:45 pm

Seems to me that a hurricane would require back-up power to keep your fridges running. Might be better to stick with farmhouse ales during the height of the season.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:58 pm

No, No, wrong interpretation. I'm basically a hurricane first responder. Hurricane hits Texas, or any other place than Lafayette, does enough damage, and I'm gone. Heck, I rode out Ike in Houston with hundreds of other responders, we watched the roof of Reliant stadium blow away, then jumped into action while the wind was still blowing.

I have generators for local stuff.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby zeeboz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 pm

Multi-tasking = storm chaser + home brewer

Nice to know you can go home after a frenzy and relax with a cool brew.
zeeboz

Postby aleguy » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:29 pm

yeah. Too bad he can't have any until he gets home!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum