Problem/No problem?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Problem/No problem?

Postby thebuddrik » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:30 pm

I brewed an Amber last weekend at my folks place. I had it in my brothers bathroom fermenting. I checked it today and was gonna float my hydromiter in it but when I opened it the kraisen (foam, however u spell it) hadnt dropped yet. I picched a quart of starter (safale 05) and it fermented like crazy for a few days. It had a SG of 1.060, this is the biggest beer that I have done so far. Is this normal? Could it possibly get too cold in there? What should I do?
Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Rdwhahb. Leave it alone. Coukd be temp, or something else, but its working. I leave everything on the yeast for 2 weeks. Gives it time to finish and clean up after itself. Most people take the beer off the yeast too soon.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby alms66 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:28 pm

I've had something similar happen to me once when a cold snap came in. I picked the carboy up and shook it as much as I could and that seemed to get the little buggers off their behinds and back to work. I'd read the suggestion somewhere - can't recall where.
alms66

Postby redtail28 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:13 am

+100 Leave it alone.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby Mob_Barley » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:36 am

I agree, best not to worry and don't rack it off the yeast too soon. But, you can use your wine thief and grab a sample below your krausen, put it in your hydrometer cylinder to check your SG. Even if the krausen never really falls back into the beer, you can still rack out from under it to a keg or to secondary when you feel it's time.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:44 am

Yeah, low temps can crash your yeast. If it takes more than ten days to finish out, you might want to repitch fresh yeast. 1.060 isn't a very high gravity for ale yeast. It should have fished primary in 3-4 days.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum