Grain info?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Grain info?

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm

I have searched around and cant find a site that can explain the difference between different grains. I am planning my next brew and it calls for 13lb 2-row and 6oz Maris Otter. Frrom what I have found isnt Maris Otter 2-row? :?
Can someone point me in the right dirrection?
Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby Imakewort » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:50 pm

I have this right now, and will post a better one when i access my home PC

http://brewsupplies.com/grain_profiles.htm
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:10 am

Maris Otter is considered a "premium" 2-row, used in lots of british beers. Its supposed to add a fuller flavor and some biscuit like flavors, its going to produce more color and malty flavor than regular 2-row.

Regular 2-row is fairly neutral in flavor.

If you use all 2-row, or all maris otter, you will wind up with a different flavor than if you use the recipe as called for.

My guess is that they are using the maris otter to give it a little color and some complexity.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:54 am

I think you'll find that recipes for English beers will be specified with English malts (and yeasts), same for German beers, and American beers. Some styles, but not many, will allow you to substitute malts (mainly the strong, complex dark beers). It all depends if you are trying to make a beer strictly to style for competition, or if it's for your own enjoyment. In that case, you can substitute different malts, and it will still make a good beer, just not one that you'd want to enter into a competition.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby Imakewort » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:42 pm

OK finally home and here is a great website that explains all about the different grains, this is what I use have fun. http://www.carolinabrewmasters.com/06Aprgrains.html
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum