Cider questions?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Cider questions?

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:55 pm

Alright guys, I have a cider that has been in primary for 3 weeks now. It is 5 gals. of juice (no preservatives), 2 lb raisins, & 2lb brown sugar. Starting gravity 1.07. I pulled it out last night and took a sample, 1.00 and it tasted awesome. My problem is I had it in my mind to put something like blueberry or something like that in the secondary. I went to Marcellos and the blueberry stuff that they sell says that it will make 5 gal. of wine.
What do you guys recommend? Do I ad anything or just rack it and leave it like it is?
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 pm

If you want to add blueberry, I would buy a few lbs. frozen. there are some wild blueberries which are sold that way. the flavor of those is unbeatable, but you may have to look around for them.
This cider recipe already seems to have a lot more in it than most, but hey, follow your muse.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:22 pm

A couple of options: 1. check out this link to austinhomebrew.com for the Oregon Fruit Purees. They are only 1/2 the amount and should be just about right. They run 18.99 and if you can add a few more items, they have flat rate shipping of $6.99 I think. You should get it around Tuesday or Wednesday if you order tomorrow. 2. Buy bags of frozen blueberries from the supermarket. Check out how much others are adding to their ciders to get the desired tastes. Or, just start with a few bags and add more if you need more blueberry flavor.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:48 pm

How should they be prepaired before I add them?
Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:49 pm

just mash them up a little so the juice can get out. I would leave them at least two weeks, but you will probably get a renewed fermentation for a few days. I'm sure you knew that, I just added it just in case.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:50 pm

If you buy the frozen berries, the cell walls will already be broken down from the freezing. You can put them in a mesh bag with some sanitized marbles for weight (I've even used smooth river stones you buy at walmart) and press the bag daily to squeeze the juice out into the fermenter. When it tastes right to you, or when the berries are just mush, hang them above the fermenter to drain and then discard them in the compost pile.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Crush them in a sanitized container, add a campden tablet or some powdered potassium metabisulphite, you can find it at marcellos in the wine section. Leave it covered with a cloth for at least 24 hours to allow the potassium to dissipate prior to adding it to your cider. That will effectively kill off any wild yeast that may be on the fresh fruit.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum