Teach A Friend To Homebrew Day - November 1st, club brew

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby alms66 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:04 pm

GuitarLord5000 wrote:
alms66 wrote:It might finally push me to spend the money on going all-grain.

This is a bit off topic, but if money is the inhibiting factor for going all grain, you might want to check this out:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/ ... &sk=t&sd=a

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before, but that's pretty much exactly what I do right now for mini-mashes, mash in a bag that is, and I was planning on carrying that over when I go all-grain anyhow. But it's good to see some additional validation.

All I really need to buy is a larger pot (I'd love to have one of these:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_i ... s_id=11290 ) ...and the propane burner.
I suspect I could pull it off with a cheap pot and burner for about $200, which isn't much really, and would quickly pay for itself with the lower cost per batch on ingredients. But, before I go spend $200 on this, I need other things like a pressure washer (vinyl siding is filthy), truck repair, etc., etc. So, it's not that spending the money is a problem, it's that doing it right now is a problem.
alms66

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:05 am

I agree that the all grain in a bag method works, but with a couple of limitations. I tried it basically before I went with the igloo. Some of my favorite beers are oatmeal stouts. Put that in a bag, and you wind up with a large gelatinous mess. Yeah, you can get it to work, but its far from simple. I found that while it never gave out, it got threadbare in a few places, and I was always afraid to wash it with any sort of detergent.

Everything you need to go all grain is at Academy, and Lowes. I put my cooler together for around $45 bucks. 32.99 for the cooler from academy, and 9.47 got the stainless braid hose from lowes, , and a couple of bucks for a ball valve. I already had o-rings and gasket material at the house, I bought my 9 gallon kettle at Academy for under $50. Both of those have made more than 30 batches of beer, and are still used for club functions.

Its not 10 bucks, its closer to 50, but it will last a lifetime of beer making if you clean it up after use.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:19 am

That's definitely a nifty pot, but dang it's $$$! I already had a crawfish pot with a propane burner, so when I started making beer, I just had to make the Igloo cooler mash tun. As Gene says, it's not very expensive to make one of these. I think the cost for mine was something like:
5 Gal. Igloo - $20.00
Stainless Braid - $7.00
Ball Valve - $10.00???
1/2" double threaded shank - $2.00
and I had a couple of gaskets already. So, around $40.00 for the tun. It wasn't terribly expensive, but then you'll eventually want a grain mill and immersion chiller, and there's plenty of expense involved with those.

I can say this much, I really like making all-grain beer. I've never made extract beer, but I have made hopped mead, which has gotta be fairly similar. I enjoy the mashing process. It's probably my favorite part of this hobby, besides drinking beer of course.

Also, once/if you start making Belgian style beers, you will probably find the need to do a mash, so that you can get the attenuation that those style beers require.

Well, enough thread jacking. It seems like you guys had a good time brewing those beers. I wish I could have made it, but the wife has been sick lately, and I've had my hands full taking care of things in her stead. I hope the beers come out good!

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:50 pm

If you're going to fork out the cash for a Boilermaker pot, I think you should seriously consider buying the 15-gallon one up front. Sooner or later, most people decide to move up to 10-gallon batches, so if you are going high-end go big. It's cheaper I think to get a keggle from Sabco, and cheaper still to make one yourself.
As far as a mash tun goes, I built a slotted-pipe manifold for a picnic cooler (48 quart) that cost about $12 to make, so braided stainless hose isn't the only way to go. You could go even cheaper by substituting CPVC pipe for the 1/2" copper.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

It looks to me as if the beer is ready to package. Are we doing this on Saturday or what? If we're bottle conditioning we should do it before too much yeast falls out. 2 weeks is about right. Though I generally package in ten days or less for most standard ales.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:11 pm

Yep, 2 weeks is right. I looked at it the other day. Looks ready. Volunteers for Saturday? Times?

Aleguy volunteered bottles, a portable stove, and his bench capper. I'll bring my bench capper, the priming sugar, and my stuff for sanitizing the bottles (tree, sprayer, starsan). Kevin is providing caps.

Anyone got a bottling bucket?

Anyone else care to volunteer as well? More hands always help when bottling 10 gallons of brew.

I'm thinking sometime around 11:00 a.m. so that we get done before the lunch use area of the breakroom.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:07 pm

Damn, I'm gonna be in the woods Sat.

Oh well, gonna miss my favorite part of homebrewing. :roll: :lol:
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:08 am

I to will be camping this weekend damm
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:53 pm

My wife is taking me on a mystery vacation this weekend for my birthday. :D
Sorry Dudes.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:53 pm

Looks like just us die hards. I'll bring along my bottling bucket. 11 am is fine.
aleguy

Postby alms66 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:10 pm

I'll be there - need me to bring anything?
alms66

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:57 am

Just an extra set of hands....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 pm

Both batches bottled and priming at Marcellos. The empty carboys are left there waiting for their respective owners to go pick them up.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:33 pm

Can't wait to try the finished product. I heard someone set fire to a plastic table.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:14 pm

Hmmmm...wonder who that could have been......
yeastmeister
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum