Teach A Friend To Homebrew Day - November 1st, club brew

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:04 pm

Well, fortunately some plans changed otherwise I was stuck going to a B-day party Sat. that I couldn't get out of.

I will definately be there, I have a little smokey that I could bring to grill on, it's not much but my other grill is way too big.

Let me know if I should bring it, if so I'll bring charcoal as well.

Anything else that ya'll think of that I can bring, let me know.
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:40 pm

I hung signs around Marcellos today stating that we start at 11:00. Thats for the public. Club members try and show up at 10:00 (when Marcellos opens) to setup in advance. We are a registered location on the AHA website.

I opened up the Pale Ale Kit we are using, and it comes with something called First Gold hop pellets. No idea what they taste like. Anyone care to offer up some if you have them, or suggest a substitution? Problem is, I'm trying to make the all grain batch like the kit batch. Since if they buy a kit again, its going to have First Gold, I'd like to shy from substituting hops if at all possible. Only fair way to do it would be to sub both batches, but then its not a representative sample of what they will buy if they do it again. These brews are going on "drinking display" at Marcellos when they are done.

I'm bringing my 9 gallon brew kettle, my igloo mash tun, my mill, my burner, my immersion chiller, all the water we should need for both batches, an extension cord, a 90 quart ice chest of ice (if I can get someone to help me carry it by around 9:30 a.m?), and all the grain for the all grain batch, and a keg of my pumpkin ale (hey Aleguy! Tasteoff?)

That means we still need some things. At least 1 more kettle and burner (for a HLT), or 2 more if we intend to try and do all grain and extract at the same time. Maybe a pit to cook some meats on (for us, not necessarily the public)? A couple of water hoses! Anyone? I'm gonna have my hands full, I think, but we gotta take some time to eat. A table or 2? Anything else you guys can think of..... Think tailgating.... Marcellos has once again asked us (as always) to park in the back, not in the front lot (makes sense since we are gonna be there for hours). Kevin will NOT be there (he's on vacation), but he said he would check in on us (yeah, right). I told him no worries, we would be self sufficient except for power and cleanup water, and that we would leave no trace behind.

Of course, I'm looking for all the help I can get. If you want to help brew one or both batches, let me know. If you want to bring something thats big (0006's brewstand?), let me know, I can cover that as well.

Try and not get so wasted on halloween that you can't get there by 10. I don't care if your still hung over. But it would be helpful if you are still mobile.

Phew...that was long...I need a beer.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:54 pm

Looks like Kent Goldings or Crystal for subs:
http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?Pa ... tegory=380

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:04 pm

I'm fine w/ bringing my sculpture, I'd need a ride to and from w/ someone who has a pickup. It is not gonna fit in mine.

If not I can bring a burner, possibly 2
Kettle
BBQ pit/utinsils/charcoal
And a table (if someone w/ a truck gives me a ride)
triple-oh_six

Postby thebuddrik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:50 am

Yall can count me in. I live 1/2 a mile from the store so I can be there whenever needed to help out (early is not a problem). I will bring a burner, bottle, and can bring more if needed. Someone just needs to let me know.
Later guys,
Buddy
thebuddrik

Postby redtail28 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Yeastmeister that's alot of typing! :shock: I can help load up
early Saturday if need.

Semaj0006 I can pick up and drop off but I need a premission slip
from your wife :wink:

As for as hops I will check my stash to night
and I also have a 6ft table that I can bring
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Actually, I work 5 minutes from Marcellos, so if we all show up around 10:00, then I can grab whoever is at hand and head over for the ice.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby redtail28 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:47 pm

:D
AND GOD SAID SEARCH YOUNG BREWER AND YOU SHALL FIND
:shock:

Hey I found 5 oz of First Gold in my stash
First Gold (UK) 6.9%
how much do we need?
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Alright, so if Redtail is willing to give me and my brewstand a ride, I'm willing to bring my brewery.
We can show the "high tech" way to brew. As well as show off my shiny toy. :wink:

If so we probably won't need more than one other burner for the extract brew.

If this is the plan than I need to know tommorrow in order to get things in order. So, is this what we're gonna do?
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:46 am

1oz is what the kit comes with. Thats awesome, now we can do a true side by side comparison of the results.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 am

Yes, but is the extract pre-hopped? It sounds like the burners and so on are covered, brew kettles? No-one should bring an outlaw keggle to this event. We don't want to be seen as sanctioning those although I think most of us have them.
So I will bring my pumpkin ale for a pumpkin-off. I'll bring my 7-gallon brew kettle and so forth,(Chiller, spoon etc.) as a contingency. I can bring the garden hose I use for the outflow from my chiller. I'll be there when I can get there, probably before 10.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 am

Nope, the extract is standard, not pre-hopped (at least thats what I remember).
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 pm

Ok, heres the recipe:

The extract kit comes with 1 can of extract, some amount of DME (more than a pound, less than 3), and 6 oz of crushed crystal, and 1 oz of First Gold for 60 minutes. Most True Brew kits come in around 1.050 to 1.052, so thats what I'm shooting for.

For the all grain, its pretty straight forward.
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
6 oz Crystal 40
1.00 oz First Gold at 60 minutes
Mash at 155F for 60 minutes.

That gives me an estimate of 1.051, and an IBU level of 30.05, both within the range of the style.

I'm gonna throw out the yeast that came with the kit, and pick up a packet of SF-05 for both the extract and the all grain kits.

Now comes decision time....how do we ferment them....Since I'm trying to make it as close to a basic brewers equip as possible, I'm thinking just out in the open how I used to do for my first 20 batches. So I'm thinking carboys at Marcellos.

Anyone have an extra carboy or 2 to loan (all mine are currently taken up by wine...sorry...). We can leave them in the back room at marcellos with airlocks for people to see. Should be safe, the wine club does it all the time.

Mod the recipe if you think its off, I can't find anything online that actually gives me an og for the true brew kit.

My estimate is that I need 8.75 gallons of water for the all grain batch, and 7 for the extract. Boil rates should put that down to about the 5 to 5.5 gallon range. I've got dead space in my kettle, so that should cover it. Remember, this isn't a single person brew, its the club, so your input is welcome and expected. Tear it apart if you want....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 am

I can donate one of my carboys if needed. Let me know.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:58 pm

I understand the point of the exercise is to compare the AG and kit brews side by side.
This appears to be what you have done. Myself, I couldn't resist the temptation to tweak things a little, but for our stated purpose I think you're bang on target.
aleguy

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum