How long do you guys stay in primary?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

How long do you guys stay in primary?

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:42 am

This batch has fermented differently that the other two that I have done. My first one bubbled for 1 1/2 days, the second one for 3 days ; this one is going on 6 days and I am still getting bubbles! I am not alarmed or worried about it (I just chalk it up to an awesome starter, thanks yeastmeister), I am curious about when I should go to secondary. I racked both of my others after 7 days. I plan on opening it up this afternoon and taking a reeding. My SG was 1.05.
thebuddrik

Postby Imakewort » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:01 am

I go for a minimum of 2 weeks, yeastmeister agrees, you need to let the fermentation finish and the yeast to clean up after themselves.
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 am

I rack off the primary after about three days, usually. When the most vigorous part of the fermentation subsides, I transfer to a clean (and sanitized) carboy and let it finish. Usually another week or so. You'll know when it's done because the beer will become darker and clear up, though you could still have occasional bubbles for months if you just let it sit.
The reason I rack to a fresh carboy after three days is to get the beer off the trub (the sticky brown/ green stuff.) Some people just leave the beer in the same fermenter for the whole period, but I think I get a cleaner tasting beer by racking off the trub and sediment since I don't separate out the hot and cold breaks when I finish brewing.
I hope this helps. You will get a feeling for when to move beer and when it's done. Learning this doesn't often take too many brews, so keep brewing, and don't worry about it too much.
aleguy

Postby alms66 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:42 pm

IGOR wrote:I go for a minimum of 2 weeks, yeastmeister agrees, you need to let the fermentation finish and the yeast to clean up after themselves.

I used to do 1 week primary, 1 week secondary, and I had good results doing that for my first year of brewing, but I've just switched to doing 2 weeks of each. I still haven't tasted the results of the switch though.
alms66

Postby aleguy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:02 pm

Primary should never take longer than a week. Secondary can take up to three years. Personally, I'm not quite ready for using funky yeasts like Brett, and if I'm brewing a high-gravity beer like a barley wine or something, I'm more likely to pitch fresh yeast when the fermentation slows.
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:50 pm

I will take a test tonight and rack Sat. or Sun.
thebuddrik

Postby zeeboz » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:11 pm

I usually keep my beer on primary fermentation for about a week. It usually stops all activity within this time period. I then transfer to a secondary carboy for at least 4 weeks. Since I work overseas this isn't a big deal for me. When I get home I transfer to a corney and carbonate. My beer is usually really clear by that time and the flavors have blended well.

Zeeboz
zeeboz

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum