how long for fermintation to begin

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:00 pm

I couldnt make it to igors brew, work is crazy. If anyone else is doing a brew please let me know. Tuesday, Thursday, Friday afternoons and weekends work for me (except for this weekend, sorry to be picky). I have done two batches and have yet to even drink one of my own beers bu it wont be long.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:44 am

The yeastmeister generally brews every Sunday, I'm told. but last I heard he was stuck in Port Arthur with FEMA and no beer.
I can't believe you've already made two batches and haven't had any yet. That's really gung ho. Most people, I think, generally wait until they've tried their first batch before deciding to make more. Anyway, if you keep brewing at this rate, you may actually exceed your federal limit by New Years.
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:06 pm

While testing this brew last night, to see if I can bottle it, I tasted the sample and it was fruity. I will not be supprised if this batch is a little off after all of the trouble that I had with it (read this whole tread). What whould have caused this?
thebuddrik

Postby redtail28 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Maybe a little warm on fermention or possably your choice
of yeast. I tnink you should bring it to a club meeting for
disposal! :lol:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:14 am

The fruitiness is most likely because of your hops choice. If you used Safale 05, you should have gotten a relatively clean fermentation even up to 85 degrees. If you were without AC after the storm you may well have gone above this temp for a while.
If you don't like it, by all means the club members are generally more than happy to help you dispose of it. And go ahead and package it, (bottle or keg)
I generally do so a week to ten days after brewing or when the beer falls clear. I kegged up my last batch only two days after brewing, and was drinking it two days after that. You have to sort of play these things by ear.
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:05 pm

I know that my temp was fine. I kept the fermenter in an ice chest with water and kept swaping out frozen bottles of water. I was concerned because my yeast didnt take off and after 3 days I pitched more yeast. Like I told my wife, it will get bottled and drank.
thebuddrik

Postby alms66 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:25 am

aleguy wrote:I generally do so a week to ten days after brewing or when the beer falls clear. I kegged up my last batch only two days after brewing, and was drinking it two days after that. You have to sort of play these things by ear.

Wow... and I thought I was drinking mine young at 1 month (1 week primary, 1 week secondary, 2 weeks bottle condition). I say they tend to taste best at 2-3 months and fall off after that, unless high in alcohol, then they only get better with age. 4 days? That's just crazy. :shock:
alms66

Postby aleguy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 pm

Crazy,maybe.But I can tell you it was good,if a little yeasty. I transferred it to a fresh keg when the yeast stopped coming out in every glass. About two days (ten pints.)
aleguy

Previous

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum