next meeting Oktober 7 at 5:30 pm

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

next meeting Oktober 7 at 5:30 pm

Postby aleguy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:15 am

Again, the muckety mucks have not updated the calendar so I'm posting the next meeting date. unless it is being canceled for some reason. I think Oktoberfest is a reasonable theme. We should also probably discuss our next demonstration brew at Marcello's. the weather is getting cooler, and as soon as the love bugs have settled, the time to brew will be upon us.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:03 am

anyone want to respond? more club business? Ideas for . . . ?
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Don't know where everyone is, I'll be there though.
triple-oh_six

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:44 pm

count me in, i need some schooling
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:05 pm

we're always glad to help. It sounds like you're on top of things though. you seem to have had a few more problems than usual for a beginner, but don't get discouraged. my brew days almost never go smoothly. something always seems to go wrong, you just need to stay cool and deal with whatever comes up.
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:48 pm

Topic
Kegging and filling bottles from kegs for contest entries.
I have two beers that I would like to bring to the meeting,
But two 5 gallons kegs is a little over kill.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 am

I agree two five-gallon kegs is a bit much for a meeting. maybe even a bit much for a party. Igor posted a link awhile back that deals with this subject.
Basically if you don't want to buy or build a counter-pressure bottle filler, or like me you don't want to have that much clean-up for a few bottles, you can put your sanitized bottles in the freezer and jam the tube from your bottle filler into a picnic faucet. (take the doohickey off the end so you just have a tube)
I haven't tried it yet, but it seems to work for other people. As long as everything is properly chilled, the foaming should be minimized. good luck.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:27 pm

I'm finally back in town after my search and rescue work.

Aleguy, Thanks for taking over while I was in a completely devastated area. No power, no cell service, no internet. Parts of Galveston got totally hosed.

Either way, bottling topic is fine. I have a counterpressure filler, that I can bring to show. I also have a cheapo modified cobra tap filler that will work as well, but it loses a little carbonation in the process.

Igor and I went back to Houston the other day to drop off entries for the Dixie Cup (Defalcos finally got power back a couple of days ago), we stopped by Specs and picked up a few things that we can't get here in Louisiana. Mmmmm....Oaked Arogant Bastard (Stone)...., Punk (best pumpkin ale I've tried, by Dogfishhead), Horn Dog (Barleywine by flying dog), Freak Out! (Lagnunitas) , Censored (Lagnunitas), and a Flanders Red (Sour ale, I've been wanting to try one for years...now is the time). Kevin has a few new beers that he will let us try as well. I've tried the Arogant Bastard, the Punk, and the other brews, but I'm saving the initial tasting of the Flanders Red and Freak Out! for the club.

Looks like timing is working against us this time, cause both Zeke and Igor go back to work before the next meeting, so you won't get the brews Igor picked up till next month, but he's picked up a couple of new things to try as well.
Last edited by yeastmeister on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:44 pm

yeastmeister wrote:
Igor and I went back to Houston the other day to drop off entries for the Dixie Cup

Guess I won't be entering :roll:
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:16 pm

semaj0006 wrote:Guess I won't be entering :roll:

Sorry dude, was an unexpected run. I just found out that I could take the day off, and they got power back. Couldn't make it any other day, so I had to run. Still not too late, they are taking entries via post till Friday, and walk in entries till Sunday if you care to make a trip, and are willing to help sort the entries with them at St. Arnolds. They waived the late entry fees due to the hurricane.

Even if you don't enter anything, I thoroughly recommend going to the competition, they are always looking for judges and stewards, its a great chance to learn judging, and a darn good time otherwise. The Foam Rangers know how to throw a party! Mmmm....barley wine.....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:55 am

I thought this year's theme was malt liquor. We should be able to get the flying dog barley wine here. we get their other stuff.
Anyway, glad you're back, Yeastmeister. saw the pictures of where Galveston used to be on the news. Looks like they ought to just bury everything in place and build fresh on top like they did in places like London and Seattle.
Too bad about Igor and Zeeboz. Will a standard monthly meeting conflict with the Dixie Cup?
Oh yeah, I just learned next years National Homebrew Competition is in Oakland CA, you lucky bastard, Yeastmeister. If I were going, I'd try to take an extra week and tour the wine country, visit the redwoods and maybe even take a side trip up to Mt. Shasta. Of course every fed should visit the Haight Ashbury district (as a tourist, not law enforcement) in San Francisco at least once. SF is a quick subway ride across the bay from Oakland, and the buses run fairly frequently. leave the car behind because parking in the city is impossible. I'm getting homesick just thinking about it.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:38 pm

Nope, can't get the flying dog. I asked Kevin. He claims no. Says its our lame distributors in Louisiana. I already told him I wanted to talk with his distributor next time he comes in. I'm tired of the crappy selection we are stuck with. We have no laws regulating alcohol like Texas does, so we should be able to get anything. Especially if we can get the rest of the line.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:38 pm

Here here! (I know. it's supposed to be a play on words.)
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 am

This might be too late but what should I bring to the meeting. I plan to bring a few of the IPAs that I made on my first brew (my Oktober Fest isnt ready yet). Might be a silly question but I was just curious.
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:31 am

While there is usually a club beer of the month, it doesn't apply to homebrews. You will almost always find that we have lots of homebrew on hand that doesn't match the topic of the month.

This months topic is Oktoberfest, but I'm bringing some homebrew, and a bunch of commercial examples of things that don't meet that style, just so that people can taste them.

All is welcome. See you there.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum