Got Mead ????????

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Got Mead ????????

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey y'all
I've decided to try a batch of Mead. I've never had it before, but it sounds like something I'd like to try. I've been researching on the net and can't find a recipe I like - something that will be drinkable in a couple of months. I remember talking about Mead at the last meeting I was able to attend. (I think it was probably in August - I just can't seem to drive down from Alex. more than once every 3 months or so) I believe it was Gene who was talking about his conversation with a Mead-Champion (I'm not positive if it was you Gene - sorry, if I'm mistaken) about recipes that didn't have to age for several years. Anybody remember this? Anybody got a Mead recipe they would be willing to post here? I am also sending out a request for mead-making tips/advice.
Thanks for the help..........See you at the next meeting (That I can get away for - probably next year)

Mike H....
Alexandria
Last edited by Mike on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Yep, that was me.

Mead is fairly easy. You may want to start with a smaller batch as opposed to a larger one. I've made 1 gallon batches when I first started with it.

For a traditional 12% alcohol mead, something semisweet, I'd try somewhere between 3-4 lbs of honey per gallon.

Lots of stuff you do for beer is similar for mead. Oxygenate the must, add yeast nutrients, stick to the same pH adjustments you would for beer.

Use SuperKeer for fining, that will allow it to be ready shorter. Potassium sorbate should be used to prevent refermentation/stabalizing. I had a batch that I was sure was done, didn't user potassium sorbate, bottled it up, wound up as a very nice sparkling mead, not at all what I intended however.

Use dry wine yeast, I've not had good luck with champagne yeast, and rehydrate it first.

Thats a basic no frills mead, honey water, nutrients, yeast, finings. Not all honey is created equal, your mileage may vary, I've been lucky enough to run into a beekeeper or 2 from time to time that is happy to sell me some fresh honey. Look around, they are all over.

The sky is the limit of course, fruit, spices, etc....as with beer however, try and make a good base mead first. Your not gonna make a good fruit mead if its base is bad.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks dude----couple questions.
Do you boil yours?
How much yeast? Starter?
How Long in the primary?
Secondary or straight to bottle?
About how long before it's ready to drink.

I have a local Bee guy. Going to pick up 15lbs tonight.
I think maybe I want a sparkling mead, also I'm thinking about blueberries. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Thanks again
Mike
Mike

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:24 am

Nope, no boil, just warm it up enough to get it to mix. Dry wine yeast packet rehydrated before use. How long depends on how the fermentation is going. As long as its active, its in the primary. When the activity almost ceases, then I transfer to the secondary. I add whatever I'm thinking about flavoring it with to the secondary, wait for that to finish. Again, that depends on what you flavored it with. Anything with sugar in it is going to start up fermentation again. Be patient. Once its done, I use finings, and then transfer it again. Time and finings are your friend with mead, crystal clear is what your shooting for.

If your patient, and don't rush the fining process, I've had some that was excellent and was only 4 months old.

Only sparkling meads I ever did were by accident (again, make sure the fermentation is complete). Turned out ok, but I decided I don't like the bubbles in meads, they just don't seem right.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:55 am

OK...........Got it

Thanks
Mike

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum