Local Brettanomyces?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Local Brettanomyces?

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:04 pm

I'd like to do a sort of local lambic, using only locally acquired wild yeast and what not. I left out a bit of sterile wort over the weekend on my dining room table to let it get innoculated with whatever wild yeast and critters I have floating around the house. I'm certain that i picked up some lactobacillus among other bacteria, and I'm pretty sure I have a bit of sacch yeast beginning to perk up in there too. I'm pretty sure I don't have much brettanomyces floating freely in my house, though. Where would be the best place to find local brettanomyces?

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:52 pm

Take a few ripe elderberries and crush them into your wort.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby positiverpr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:12 pm

i read that most native brett actually live in wood. forgot where i read that but it was a definitive source :roll: . fruit is another option. i'm bored so i'm horning in on ya'lls forum tonight
positiverpr

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:37 am

positiverpr wrote:i'm bored so i'm horning in on ya'lls forum tonight

Your welcome here any time.

If your interested in getting something local, your gonna need to spend some considerable time with plating and waiting. The idea is you take your "infected" wort, and streak it on agar plates. Incubate the plates and wait to see what grows. Anything that groups like brett needs to be scraped and re cultured up, then streaked and plated again. Process repeats ad infinitum. Eventually, you can get rid of everything else.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:40 am

I'm not really looking to isolate anything here. I'm just wanting to try to increase my chances of getting a full range of microbes into my local lambic bug-soup.
I like the idea of using the elderberries in a starter. I just wasn't sure that brett lived on berries. If that's the case, then I just need to locate some elderberries, and toss a handful of them into some starter wort. I'd imagine that with that starter, and my dining room table spontaneous starter, I should end up with a full range of microbes, provided I get some brettanomyces.
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:26 pm

The lambic beers were traditionally produced in orchard areas. All the yeasts including Brett are naturally occurring on fruit. That is why lambic producers are having a very hard time making beer lately, because all the orchards have been replaced by urban sprawl.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum