ideas on new beers

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

ideas on new beers

Postby david79thomas » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Gene's Tabasco is always a hit. I found some Tabasco wood chips meant for smoking meat that are from the barrels they use. I was thinking of using them to get a Tabasco Oaked flavor. budrockdiesel suggested steaming them to sanitize them which would be necessary since they would go into the fermenting stage. What are your thoughts?

Also I am curious about Root Beer flavored beer. I was thinking of calling it a Prohibition Wit, to me the name is catchy. A wheat beer since usually you use wheat beers for flavorings like fruity beers. This one would be a bit more manly but hoping not to be a licorice beer. Samuel Adams used to make a "1790 Root Beer Brew". http://www0.epinions.com/review/Samuel_ ... 9508098692
from the link above they list what flavors may be included:
vanilla, cherry tree bark, licorice root, sarsaparilla root, sassafras root bark, nutmeg, anise, and molasses, allspice, birch bark, coriander, juniper, ginger, wintergreen, hops, burdock root, dandelion root, spikenard, pipsissewa, guaiacum, yellow dock, honey, clover, cinnamon, prickly ash bark, and yucca.
I wouldn't want it to be too cloudy, lots of sediment and minty like some reviews state this beer has.
Again, your thoughts?
david79thomas

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:47 pm

I wouldn't use steam myself. Get yourself some vodka, just enough to get them good and wet, let it sit in a ziplock for a couple of days, then pitch it all into the beer. The vodka will just boost the alcohol a couple of 10ths of a point, and the chips will be sanitized.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:33 pm

If you don't want minty flavors, leave out the wintergreen and birch bark.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Charlie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:56 pm

yeastmeister wrote:I wouldn't use steam myself. Get yourself some vodka, just enough to get them good and wet, let it sit in a ziplock for a couple of days, then pitch it all into the beer. The vodka will just boost the alcohol a couple of 10ths of a point, and the chips will be sanitized.

+1. If you steam them it's liable to leach out all the tannins, flavors and other stuff you want to get in the beer.

I would like to find a way to impart a tequila flavor to a beer, but was disagreeably surprised to find that using agave nectar won't do it. Apparently that flavor is a result either of the yeast or the used whiskey barrel aging process.

Charlie (would like to find a used 10 gal whiskey barrel)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Well, you could always use tequila instead of vodka. :)
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:17 am

Tequila, like rum and whiskey are virtually all pure ethanol when they are made. The various flavors in them are mostly products of the aging process.
@Charlie, I don't know about ten-gallon used whiskey barrels, but the bourbon distillers sell off their once-used 35-gallon barrels all the time since Federal law prohibits them from using the same barrel twice.
If you know someone who lives or is going to/passing through the region, you might ask them to pick one up for you. Several of us are looking to score some gently used white wine barrels, but California is a bit too far away for a weekend road trip.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum