Fridge temp controller for Fermenting

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Fridge temp controller for Fermenting

Postby lhardin02 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:14 pm

We are looking for a temp controller for our fridge. Does anyone know if this controller will work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNIVERSAL-PID-TEMPE ... 036wt_1167
lhardin02

Postby david79thomas » Tue May 11, 2010 2:48 pm

for your fridge you might want something like this.
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16663/ ... Controller
It's what most people use for fermentation temperature control. It's easier because you just dial in your desired temperature and plug in the fridge to the controller and the controller to the wall outlet.
That controller you are looking at most people use for monitoring temperature of a brew stand set up which controls a motorized valve regulating gas flow to burners in turn regulating temperature for brewing.
david79thomas

Postby lhardin02 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks David! Does anybody happen to have an extra one laying around that they would like to sell?
lhardin02

Postby aleguy » Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 am

Actually, Temp controllers are generally used with freezers, not fridges. But for fermentation, you might as well, since most refrigerators don't go as high as many ale fermentations.
The Auber controller does not have enough amperage to control a fridge, or freezer. A love controller does. I have seen Love controllers mounted in the door of an upright freezer converted into a fermentation chamber for a 10-gallon conical.
Best of luck with your project. I still ferment everything at room temperature and have no complaints about the quality of my beer.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum