Source for raspberries?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Source for raspberries?

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:30 am

Anybody know of a good place to get raspberries? I'd like to get my hands on about 8-10 lbs of them in the semi-near future. Of course, for the price most places want for them, I might just be better off getting the Oregon Fruit Puree. If that's the case, does anyone know a local source for that?
GuitarLord5000

Postby Wombatpix » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:37 am

Your best bet may be Sam's but not in that quantity.
Wombatpix

Postby Mob_Barley » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 am

Try Marcello's. If they don't have it, and you can wait a little while, Kevin can order it for you. If not, try MoreBeer.com here: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16731/ ... nghomebrew Order $59 and get free shipping. You might as well get a little malt or something to go with the raspberries...
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:50 am

Yeah, Marcello's should have it. Or Kevin will order it for you. B# has free shipping and a whole lot of useful brewing stuff, so if you order it from them you might as well pick up a conical or something too. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

I'm gonna be placing a morebeer order on the 15th. I'm already at free shipping, so if anybody needs something just pm me and let me know. I'll add it to the order.

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Checked at the meeting last night, Marcellos doesn't have them in stock, but I am sure Kevin can order them.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:12 am

Thanks for looking, Gene. I didn't think I'd ever seen any raspberry puree at Marcellos, but it's nice to know for sure. I try to pick up as much as I can from Marcellos, but I almost never order anything through them. Takes too long. I'd be back offshore before my things would get it.

[/i]
GuitarLord5000

Postby Charlie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Yesterday's circular from Lowes listed raspberry plants. Not that you're interested in growing them (I'm not), but I've never seen them offered here so I thought I would mention it.

I got a couple of scuppernong plants (a vitis rotifolia 'Dixie' and a vitis rotifolia 'scuppernong') from the nursery last weekend. They came from Bracy's Nursery in Amite, and I thought that was cool.

A scuppernong beer is probably not in the offing. I just like to grow stuff.

Charlie (also put in 4 better bush, 2 pimento, a bell and a poblano)
"Yes officer, I know I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 am

You have to be careful in selecting cane fruits for this area. Most of them can't take the heat. Kiwi Gold is a two-crop-a-year variety that is good to zone 12, so that should do well, but as far as the classic red and purple varieties, I don't know of any that will do well here.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum