First Leave

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

First Leave

Postby Imakewort » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 pm

I plan on taking my 6 month leave in April and go to Germany for 14 days, I want to visit a different brewpub every day or every other day, any suggestions on where to start I want to use all public transportation between towns, maybe start in Southern Germany and head north, And I want to go to Dortmunder to try there famous lager.
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:29 am

Good luck! From my understanding, outside Britain, good local beers and good brew pubs are astonishingly difficult to locate. Your best bet is probably to team up with someone familiar with the local beer scene. Always nice to have a companion or two as well.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:44 pm

not to many people i know have the time or money to go to Germany rent a car and travel all over to just drink beer lol. I have this web sight thanks to the BN Army http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/#germany seems there is more brewpubs and beer halls than I could visit in 6 months
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:25 am

Good. I always thought there must be something like CAMRA for the continent. Worst case, you could always ask Daniela Perl. She might be up to pointing you in the right direction, or even having a beer or two with you if she's in the area.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:07 pm

Hey Steve, sorry, I saw this when you posted and forgot to come back and give you my $.02

We went to Europe in 2006 for our honeymoon, unbelievable experience.

We flew into London and traveled by train to Paris, Florence, Rome, Venice, Munich, Frankfurt, and Amsterdam, then back to London.

The subway in Munich is awesome, one of the best I've ever used, it will get you just about anywhere in the city.
Be sure to hit the Paulaner micro brewery http://www.paulaner-brauhaus.de/muenchen/home

We took a "beer tour" that took us to a few beer halls and this is one of the places we went. We took a tour of the brewery, and go figure, I knew more about the brewing process than the guide. They have open fermentation tanks and they let people climb the ladder and look down into them, crazy.
And as touristy as Hofbrauhaus is you have to go there, it was awesome, what an amazing atmosphere.

Englischer Garden is the Biggest beer garden in the world, it is beautiful, they serve beer year round but a lot of the places close up in winter.

As far as traveling between cities/towns, the rails are very easy to navigate, check out the Europass, I got some kind of deal with 5 travel days over 5 countries (some countries are bundled together)

If I had to do it over I would have skipped Frankfurt, we only went there to take a tour up the Rhine river to see castles but they were shut down for the winter, by that point we kinda needed a break anyway.

Have a great trip, looking forward to hearing some stories.

Prost,
James
triple-oh_six

Postby Imakewort » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:16 pm

i am going to fly my son over and start in Munich get a eoropass and head into southern Germany.I plan on travailing light just bringing my bug out bag and will buy clothes as needed Told him to pack light also. I bought a couple of books from Amazon on beer and breweries in Germany. Lots of places to see and visit, All research on beer and brewpubs :D
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum