Behold! The Hopinator is unveiled!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Behold! The Hopinator is unveiled!

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:34 am

I've heard a lot about Dogfishheads "Randall the Enamel Animal". http://www.dogfish.com/company/tangents/randall-the-enamel-animal.htm

I've seen lots of implementations, but they all go around the water filter idea. The problems I see with that are many. Its plastic (plastic is bad), it takes too many hops to fill it (works fine if your hooking it up to a full size keg, but its sort of a waste for a 5 gallon keg), and its not refrigerated.

The solution? The Hopinator!

A stainless steel Biopharmaceutical filter housing. A couple of extra bits, some 40 mesh stainless screen, and....

Each end on the filter is a 1.5" tri clover fitting, the device opens to fill with hops via a 3" tri clover fitting. The 2 little fittings out the side are bleeder/sample valves. Here you can see where I put some tri clover to tube fittings on to use it inline for beer. I can also remove those ends, and use as a hop back inline between the kettle and the therminator since I use tri clover fittings for sanitary transfer already.

Its about 8 inches long. It takes about 1/2 oz of whole leaf hops to fill it up, it is small enough to bring around, it fits in an ice chest with the keg, so it stays cold, which keeps the beer from foaming as much as a regular randall does. And its easy to sanitize since its stainless.

Search on ebay and you can find them periodically using the search term "stainless filter". They make them with tube fittings also, but since I'm tri clover already, thats the ends I wanted.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:47 am

I love it, and that is probaly why I will end up sealing the idea and making my own :wink:
What do you think it would do with "wet" hops?
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:18 am

Should work fine, just pack them in. I don't pack the dry hops because they expand, but since the "wet" hops are already expanded you would need to pack it. It can hold up to 150 psi, so it should hold them. :)
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby jimmiec » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:40 am

That's pretty cool. I take it the picture shown is yours yeastmeister. Can you taste a big difference?
jimmiec

Postby redtail28 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:53 am

It will take your head off with
aroma and flavor. My farts still smell like hops :D
I would like to have one and use it
as a hop back.

To many gagets and not enough
money :x
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45 am

Yep, thats mine, I unveiled it at the last meeting. The hop aroma had people coming from the front to the back to see. I actually out aroma'd torpedo. Definitely an incredible difference with and without.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby clept » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:28 am

I'd love to see that thing in action.

I've never been to any of the meetings, are they members only?
clept

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:43 am

Nope, all are welcome. It was at the meeting because the beer of the month was IPA. Feel free to contact me and stop over at my place to see it in action.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby alms66 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:11 pm

damn, it had to be at a meeting I miss... :cry:
alms66

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Nice, looks even better than I had pictured.

I'm bringing my IIPA to Dixie, how about letting me use your hopinator, we should turn a few heads.
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:50 pm

triple-oh_six wrote:Nice, looks even better than I had pictured.

I'm bringing my IIPA to Dixie, how about letting me use your hopinator, we should turn a few heads.

Absolutely! I'll bring it with me. Are we gonna use your homegrown hops? By the way, one major selling point of this version that I forgot to mention. Stainless is generally considered impervious to light :). That means there is zero chance of skunking beer with this one, unlike almost every other randall I see made out of transparent plastic.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Damn straight, I'll do another harvest next Tuesday, I can probably get another 6oz off my plant.
triple-oh_six

Postby jimmiec » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:46 am

good luck everyone at the Dixie.
jimmiec

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum