CO2 and kegging

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

CO2 and kegging

Postby beouf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:28 am

i just bought the keg system from marcello's last week. i also just found a place to fill CO2 in Scott. so, since i'm new to this kegging thing, i wanted to ask, how do you guys force carbonate your beer and for how long?

i remember jim telling me, but i forgot the specifics cause it was so long ago.

i also plan on bottling some of the beer after i filter it.

this is the plan,

1 - filter the beer
2 - force carbonate the beer
3 - bottle some of the beer for football!!!!

does that sound like the right order? just so you don't ask, i'm bottling so i don't have to bring a whole keg to tailgate at the games. easier to put 12-24 bottles in a cooler.
beouf

Re: CO2 and kegging

Postby redtail28 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:59 am

beouf wrote:i'm bottling so i don't have to bring a whole keg to tailgate at the games. easier to put 12-24 bottles in a cooler.

That sound right. But are you tailgating by your self?
12 to 24 botttles that sounds a little low! :shock:
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby beouf » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 pm

i don't tailgate by myself, but i'm stingy.

how much pressure do you put on the keg to carbonate the beer? how many days?
beouf

Postby redtail28 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:11 pm

Chill it down put 15 psi and give it 3 days or so.
Or 40 psi shake the shit out of it
and give a day should be good to go.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Why filter? That just pulls a lot of the flavor out that we home brewers try so hard to get more of. It's the main reason a lot of us got into brewing in the first place. When you can afford it, a 2 1/2 gallon keg will fit in an Igloo Ice Cube cooler and a 3-gallon keg will fit into the high-top versions like the ice cube max. Once you really get the bug, you should have enough beer around that taking two small kegs to a game won't be a big deal. Especially if you plan on brewing the next day. (Like most of us.)
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby clept » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 am

I've only kegged a few batches so far, but this method has given my good results within 24-36hrs.

Cold crash in fermenter for a couple days, then transfer to keg while still cold(40*F). Of course you could always transfer warm, but the important part is to make sure the beer is cold before adding CO2 or else you will have to apply a lot more pressure to force carbonate.

Apply 30psi and shake the keg for a two minutes. I usually roll the keg back and forth on my kitchen counter.

After shaking you'll notice that the pressure in the keg will have dropped significantly, bring the pressure back up to 30psi and put back in your fridge/freezer.

Periodically check and shake the keg and bring the pressure back up to 30psi. The keg pressure will drop as the CO2 is absorbed by the beer.

After 24-36 hrs or so release the pressure on the keg down to serving pressure. 11-12psi with 5-10ft of 3/16ID serving line. Keep in mind if you have different sized serving lines then it will require different lengths and pressure.

Take sample, note carbonation. If you're liking where its at then just keep the serving pressure where it is and ENJOY.

Cheers.

ps. Sorry for the long write-up, kinda slow here at work this morning.
clept

Postby aleguy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:57 pm

I push 45 lbs into warm beer and stick it in the fridge. Then put some gs on it at 45 lbs every eight hours or so twice more. Perfect carbonation every time. No shaking rocking or pre-chilling. I like simple and easy. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum