Need fruit recommendation fast!!!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Need fruit recommendation fast!!!

Postby percmd » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:08 pm

I accidently started a Safbrew T-58 yeast(for Belgian Whites), thinking it was a pack of red wine yeast, i didn't read the package, just cut & dumped. Can i use my starter yeast to make a wine and what type of fruit would anyone recommend. I am not set up to brew a batch of beer yet and i don't want to just waste the yeast if i can get something out of it. Any ideas???
percmd

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:00 pm

I don't think it would make a good wine yeast. Its known for estery spicy/peppery flavors. I don't think I have ever read those flavor descriptions in any type of wine. What you can do however, is to let the starter ferment to completion, then refrigerate it for up to 3 weeks. If you'd like to get a beer started sometime in the next 3 weeks to use it, if you have a carboy available, we can loan you some brewing equipment and help you make your first beer.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:19 pm

+1
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby percmd » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 am

I'm stubborn i guess, but isn't that how innovation begins?! I decided to make a Raspberry batch with it, since it's a tart fruit anyway. BUT, i did have to restart the fermentation. I used a K1V-1116 Montpelier, i was thinking since the must was very light pink it would make a really light colored wine. I don't know, i'm a beginner, so smack me for being hard-headed!! Thanks for the advice though.
percmd

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am

I think you will be much happier with the K1V-1116 yeast. It may not have been terrible, but it would not have turned out how you wanted with the beer yeast.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum