intersting topic

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

intersting topic

Postby redtail28 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:20 am

What do y'all think? I know i don't under stand it all.
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/librar ... iller.html
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:44 pm

My take on the first part of the article (I assume that is the section of primary interest to you) is that if you are trying to make lager beers, not ales, using American-grown malts, not european, you may have problems with yeast metabolism if you recirculate your mash too much. though this can be fixed by proper aeration of the wort or adding some fatty adjunct such as oatmeal.
It also means that you may have problems with staling or off flavors in your lager, not ale beers if you do not clear the wort enough. the gist of it is that you should clarify your wort as much as possible in a homebrew setting fo making lager beers, because overclarifying with homebrew equipment is almost impossible.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:52 pm

For those that haven't seen my system (or the 3 others that I helped build), then you haven't seen how clear wort can get (i'd say it looks filtered). I have no problems with fermentation, and many of you have tasted my lagers and ales. I do add servomyces to my boil.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 pm

I wasn't saying you couldn't get wort too clear with homebrewing equipment. I was just trying to translate the article. at least that's what I got out of it.
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:48 pm

IMHO I do not think that you need to worry about having to clear wort. mine comes out pretty clear and I have no problems, if you are worried about filtering out the lipids from your wort add 1 small drop of flax oil. or just add a drop it will not hurt and there is a lot of evidence saying it will help. Bring this topic up at the next meeting and see if we can help.
Imakewort

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum