Question about beer dispensers

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Question about beer dispensers

Postby david79thomas » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 pm

I just got a party pig from a generous member of the club and I'm excited about it. And I told a friend who just hooked up his own kegerator for purposes of trying to save some money and being cool. He's not a homebrewer, yet, but is looking for a more portable way to carry his beer around. So I sent him the link for the party pig www.partypig.com and thought, if the beer is carbonated and ready to drink, why do you need pressure to pour the beer out? Couldn't you use a small picnic style beverage container with a push button nozzle to pour it out by gravity rather than CO2?
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Several problems with that. First is, unless you are going to drink it all in a very short time period, the beer will go sour. Second, the beer will go flat. It's fine to put some in a sanitized 2-liter bottle or something if you are going to drink it all within a few hours.
Something like this might be better:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/Beer-Gadge ... -Kegerator

Or better yet, a two-keg rolling kegerator built into an Igloo Ice Cube (high-top only.) Which uses 2 3-gallon kegs and a paintball tank as a CO2 source. I think one was featured in the last "gadgets" issue of Zymurgy. That's one other piece of equipment I've been working on. Unfortunately one of my 3-gallon kegs developed a hairline crack and leaks, so I can't really use it unless I find someone who is really good with a TIG welder.
Again, my advice to all new homebrewers is: Don't jump in head first. Take your time and see what other club members, and even home brewers from elsewhere are doing. Many problems have already been solved in very cunning and elegant ways.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:23 pm

Nope, the problem is that the co2 stays in solution because its reached a pressure equilibrium with the air space in the pig. If you use gravity, you create a vacuum in the container. The airspace is refilled by pulling the co2 from the beer. Therefore reducing the carbonation co2 from the beer. Eventually, the beer stops pouring (due to vacuum, and the beer goes flat). Capisca?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby david79thomas » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:44 am

thanks guys! That clears it up!
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:38 am

Actually the little insulated picnic coolers allow air in to replace the volume displaced by pouring. They also allow CO2 out. A better bet would be to fill a sanitized 2-liter bottle.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum