Where to buy used kegs in Lafayette?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Where to buy used kegs in Lafayette?

Postby clept » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:50 am

I'm talking half barrel sanke kegs, not the 5 gallon cornelius kegs that are for sale at Macellos.

I'm looking to make my own keggle and I haven't seen any old kegs turn up on craigslist for months. Where in/around Lafayette could I find these for sale at a decent price?
clept

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Legal? http://www.brew-magic.com/index.html

Most everything else is not legal.

Uh, dont ask/dont tell :wink:
thebuddrik

Postby clept » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:04 pm

oic, Don't ask, don't tell.... well if someone where so inclined to PM me the info, I'd be so inclined as to forget who sent the PM. Thanks in advance..
clept

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 pm

I dont think it is like that. Sometimes you might stumble across them. I have asked guys at gas stations what they were doing with that keg in the back of the truck. I have heard stories of guys finding them in the ditch. You never know.
thebuddrik

Postby Mob_Barley » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:26 am

I've heard you can get them from metal scrap yards where they are sold for the metal. Couldn't heart to call around.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby thebuddrik » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 am

I got a keg from a random guy and he said he tried to sell it for scrap and they told him he had to cut it up before they would take it.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Get the word out. There are plenty of kegs out there that people are unable to return for deposit. they're usually happy to unload them for a Fin or so. I believe one brewer found one at the flea market on Pinhook.
The MMMM (Malt Munching Mash Monsters) guys found a brewery in Texas that was decommissioning a lot of kegs at $30 each. You might check with them to see if there are any still available, but you will have to go get them. Also, buy three if you can. You'll be glad you did later.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby clept » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:08 pm

well I posted a "Wanted" ad on craigslist.. I guess I'll just wait and see what turns up.

I'll try giving some scrap yards a call tomorrow. Thanks
clept

Postby aleguy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:50 am

I did that several times (craigslist, wanted) and got nothing. Try asking freinds, coworkers and random strangers. Keep your eyse open. They will show up eventually. There's some kind of magnetism that draws them to home brewers who seek them. Don't give up.
aleguy

Postby clept » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Surprisingly enough I scored with a craigslist ad after just one day. Getting 2 Abita kegs from a lady in B.R. whose son left them behind when he moved out of her house. $60 for both and she's meeting me half way. Pretty sweet deal, thank you craigslist!

I also put the word out on another forum I frequent and got several replies and a few offers so I know where to get that third one when I'm ready.

btw, I had zero luck calling around to scrap yards, most people said they had none and a few said it was illegal for them to sell or buy them.

Next question; whats the cheapest place in town to buy a 5lb co2 tank? The few places I've called all wanted $100+ which surprises me with the amount of welding supply places we have. I'd rather shop local, but when they go for $60 on ebay its kinda hard to swallow.
clept

Postby BayouBrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 am

I know that you said in town but this guy has really cheap shipping and great prices. He doesn't have a website to see them, but I got one of his 5lb CO2 tanks and it is good to go. Shoot him an email or call. He may have even emailed your prez. It looks like he just went through the AHA club links to get the word out, that's how I found out about him.

Quote from email that he sent to me:
Air Tech Distributors, Inc. (airtechdistributors@gmail.com or 561-305-0828):
5# CO2 tank - $47
10# CO2 tank - $67.72
15# CO2 tank - $79.37
Shipping for a pallet is free (if you want to do a club buy or sell some, but I don't know how many fit on a pallet). Anything less than a pallet is $2.50/tank flat rate.

Mike
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Postby aleguy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:27 am

Harbor Freight has steel tanks, I don't know what they cost, but you're better off sticking with aluminum IMHO. Academy has paintball tanks (30 oz about
$30, I think) that you can use if you buy an adapter from Williams Brewing. Should be good to push at least a couple of kegs before it needs a refill.
aleguy

Postby BayouBrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

I just called the guy (Jason) to confirm and he said that they are new aluminum tanks. He also said that he will have a website up by the end of the month, but you can check the manufacturer website at http://www.hymarkcylinders.com/ to see the specs. Just click on the beverage tab at the top to see the pictures and info.
President - Malt Munching Mash Monsters

Shreveport, LA

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
BayouBrew

Postby aleguy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Very cool! :D Thanks for the info! :D
aleguy

Postby clept » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 pm

BayouBrew wrote:I know that you said in town but this guy has really cheap shipping and great prices. He doesn't have a website to see them, but I got one of his 5lb CO2 tanks and it is good to go. Shoot him an email or call. He may have even emailed your prez. It looks like he just went through the AHA club links to get the word out, that's how I found out about him.

Quote from email that he sent to me:
Air Tech Distributors, Inc. (airtechdistributors@gmail.com or 561-305-0828):
5# CO2 tank - $47
10# CO2 tank - $67.72
15# CO2 tank - $79.37
Shipping for a pallet is free (if you want to do a club buy or sell some, but I don't know how many fit on a pallet). Anything less than a pallet is $2.50/tank flat rate.

Mike

Are those wholesale prices, or will he sell just on at that price? Also, what methods of payments does that guy deal in?
clept

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum