deal on 35 & 55 gallon drums

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

deal on 35 & 55 gallon drums

Postby Imakewort » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 am

For the home brewer who wants to expand there capacity I found a nice deal on SS 35 and 55 gallon drums, this is the good stainless. You would have to weld fittings to attach hoses and such, but worth it over buying very large pots to brew in.
"on sale" 35 gallon $175.00 55 gallon 450.00
http://www.skolnik.com/
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby redtail28 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:18 pm

The thing that worries me would be the thickness of the bottom not to mention trying to boil that much wort. But how cool would that be 50 gallon system.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Blichman makes a 55-gallon kettle that's already fitted for brewing. The price difference might be worth it.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 pm

The system in the picture belongs to A. J. deLange, and the 4th barrel is for doing decotions, i asked him how he transfers wort over to the barrel to do decoctions and here is his reply, Also the metal thickness is the same as the kegs most of us use now. A boilermaker 55 gallon is $619.00 at williams so the barrel might be to expensive, but the 35 gallon is priced right.

"I have a solids pump (Zambelli vintners pump with a rubber impeller) that starts the brew day recirculating mash. It pulls from the top front and injects at the bottom from Triclover ports on the mash tun. It is insufficient for uniform mixing of the mash so I still have to lean into the oar but it helps.

When it comes time for a decoction I move the hose from the top of the mash drum (I call it M1) to the bottom of the adjacent drum which is identical (I call it M2) and pump over enough mash (the pump is reversible) to cover the steam coil and do the decoction at the end of which I pump it back.

For the third decocction (which is supposed to be liquid only) I push a strainer down into the mash and use that peristaltic pump we used last weekend (with a larger tube) to pump the liquid over to M2. The larger pump can be used to pump it back."
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby redtail28 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Where is Mr delange located? Does he brew for a Brew pub. Be nice to see this first hand
redtail28

Postby Imakewort » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Mr. deLange lives by Washington DC, I emailed him for some more info on how his system works. From what I see it is heated by steam, seems pretty nice but I want to see how hard it would be to build.
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby Imakewort » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:00 pm

here is the reply from Mr. Delange with pictures of his brewery, I have to say it is the most awesome home brewery I have ever seen, he also has a complete lab for brewing.

It seems to handle them OK. I have had to replace the impeller once in about three years but I'm not sure how much of that was because of abuse (letting it run dry for example) as opposed to the high temperature though I'm sure the high temperatures have something to do with it. It is designed for pumping must.

There are some pictures at( see link below) . There you will see that the heart of the system is a low pressure boiler. This feeds three lines (HLT, Main Mash/Kettle, Decoction Mash) through electrically controlled valves. These can be operated by flipping a toggle switch, stepping on a pedal or by a controller (usually only use the controller for the HLT). Each vessel has an RTD which is read by the controller and displayed on the computer screen.
http://www.pbase.com/agamid/brewery
Mad dog Brewery
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Re: deal on 35 & 55 gallon drums

Postby david79thomas » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 am

Imakewort wrote:For the home brewer who wants to expand there capacity I found a nice deal on SS 35 and 55 gallon drums, this is the good stainless. You would have to weld fittings to attach hoses and such, but worth it over buying very large pots to brew in.
"on sale" 35 gallon $175.00 55 gallon 450.00
http://www.skolnik.com/

Damn! I hope somebody gets that 35 gal!
david79thomas

Postby aleguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:44 pm

I have to wonder what kind of chemicals come in stainless drums? Barrels for food are all plastic. Whatever those things were made for must be some really nasty stuff, I'm thinking. But, if you trust in the ability of caustic to clean stainless then I guess you don't need to worry about residues from Plutonium or Sarin or whatever the hell those things held before the were turned into brewing equipment.
I got to admit, the 35-gallon barrel is mighty tempting though.
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:50 pm

I belive these a new drums. I went to the site
and they have drums for wine so they
should be ok.
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:53 pm

That's a relief, but I still want to know what they make them for? Wine is usually kept in oak barrels until it is bottled. If they are for something innocuous, maybe we can find a cheaper source for second-hand ones.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum