Equipment that I need!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Equipment that I need!

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 am

Alright guys, I need some things.
I am very close to an AG system and I think I've decided to pony up for a pump instead of going gravity.
So, here are the things that I need. Any help to aquire these items will be appreciated.

1/2 bbl Sanke Keg for my HLT
I've got my tun and kettle, I just need 1 more keg

Does anybody know where I can get a keg, .....Dammit.....so close

Burners, what do you guys have?
I'm not sure what's going to be in my budget for my sculpture but I want to get an idea. And how are the regulators split to run off 1 tank?

Aeration
I've got a diffusion stone and I want to use o2. Do I need to buy one of
these: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16606/

Nintendo
Yes... a Nintendo. I'm looking for an old-school NES. It doesn't even need to work, I just want the housing.
And yes, this is beer related, I'll tell you why if you give/trade/sell me one

Pumps
As I stated above, I think I'm going to get a pump for a few reasons.
I've weighed the pros & cons of 3 tier (gravity) system and pump fed system, and since I plan on getting a pump eventually, I might as well get one now.
My other reason is recirculation and Jamil's wort chiller conversion.
I've been looking at this http://morebeer.com/view_product/17311/

As always, I appreciate your help, and maybe if yous guys (Igor, Yeasty)don't have a topic for March we could do an equipment meeting. I've been listening to the Sunday Session podcasts nonstop and there are so many things I've gotten out of them.
Especially
Doc's Brewday 1/1/2008
Build a brewhouse 12/9/2007
Equipment upgrades 1/20/2007

So let's go people, I want to get rollin'
Prost,
James
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:11 am

Ok, first off....What do you need a keg for? I do 10 gallon batches in my keg that come up all the way to the top, no room for any more grain or water, never needed to have more than 7 gallons in my HLT tank for sparging. I've got a keg for the boil kettle, a keg for the mash tun, and a cheap stainless 9 gallon pot for my HLT that I got from academy. You can even go a little smaller for less. Your never gonna bring your HLT up much higher than 170, so you don't need to worry about boilovers...

While multiple pumps are convenient, I do just fine with a single pump, just move the inputs and outputs around.

Burners, I use:
one of these for my mash tun: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17247/102341

one of these for my boil kettle:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17250/102341

And they are fed with 2 of these, plugged into a T at the tank.:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17251/102341

Although, one of those would have sufficed, I wanted to have redundancy, I've had a regulator go bad on me once before (prior to my brewing hobby), and since these are specialized, and you can't find them locally, I wanted a spare.

IGOR is using something he bought locally, and its working fine, I got mine to be eye candy, he got his to produce heat. The choice is yours.

Aeration: Yes, if you want to use the disposable tanks....

Nintendo....um....I think mine went into the trash about 6 months ago....sorry.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:12 am

Acquiring kegs can be a shady business. there are often people who have half-barrel kegs lying around who will willingly sell/give you one to cut up. this is technically illegal and there are very few legal outlets for getting these kegs. My own position is that if the keg in question was returned to the outlet from which it came and was refused, then it becomes abandoned property and belongs then to whomsoever possesses it. In any case, such things are best discussed in less public forums than this.
You could always build a mash/lauter tun in a cooler and use the second keg for a HLT.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:57 pm

I have a 6 gal stainless turkey pot w/ a spigot that I can use as a HLT but I would like to be able to brew 10 gal. batches,..... plus, I want a 3rd keg :)

I had checked out those burners but I wasn't sure if there was anything locally available. All of the descriptions say that you should have a plumber do the installations, is that just "don't try this at home" bullshit, or are the connections really that complicated?
Also, besides the regulator that you mentioned what other costs am I looking at, for hoses and hardware. And, at least for now, I won't be going for the fancy pipeing that you've got going on.

And WTF, you threw out your NES, you can get <$20 on ebay for a broken one, and $50+ for a semi-working one. Even more-so you could have had my appreciation. Oh well :cry:

Thanks brotha,
semaj_tripple_oh_6
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:22 pm

I just use a regular crawfish burner from the local hardware store. they make double burner units. That's what Igor uses I believe. Unless you have a big household propane tank, or you want to run off of town gas (natural gas) there's no reason to get a bunch of fancy plumbing done. If you do decide to go with the permanent hookup instead of a portable propane tank (usually 5 gal.) you will need the services of a professional plumber. that kind of gas hookup is required by law to be done by a licensed plumber and it needs to be pressure tested.
I'm not saying you can't do it yourself, but the potential liability if something goes wrong is way out of proportion to the thousand or so dollars it would cost to have a plumber do it. (The dollar figure is just a rough guess, it would probably be much less.
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 am

The burner that yeastmister uses can be found locally in Church Point at a local store on main street for about $20.00 for the small one and for a Larger one goes for $100.00 or so. Looks like it could melt steel.
redtail28

Postby triple-oh_six » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:15 pm

redtail28 wrote:The burner that yeastmister uses can be found locally in Church Point at a local store on main street for about $20.00 for the small one and for a Larger one goes for $100.00 or so. Looks like it could melt steel.

Awesome, I drive past churchpoint every day for work. Do you know the name of the store?
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:55 pm

No its the little hardware store on main street just past Sonic.
redtail28

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:01 am

All I can say is be careful. Those burners come in natural gas or propane versions. Every one of those jets has a built in orifice. Look closely to make sure your getting the right version. Not sure what the difference is, but I'm pretty sure there is one. I've never found anything local like the regulators, yep, its technically the same pressure as the ones people hook up to the big household tanks, but the ones they sell around here are huge and 2 stage. I don't know if they would be happy attached to a little tank.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Well thanks to the yeastmeister I went out and bought the stand that will be the start of my sculpture. I went and caught some of his brewday and I just had to get this thing started. It will eventually have some new burners hard-piped in along with a lot of other frills.

And here are the flowers that I got my wife to soften the blow a little before I drain the bank accounts. Take notes boys, I might be on to something.

Thanks again Yeasty, I had a great time.
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 am

Bitch!! Way to go your off and running. So what's your plan for kettle layout? HLT, MT, Boil pot up or down. Where did you buy your stand?
I know buying one is easy and fastest way to go, but then all my work cutting grinding all those bed frames would be wasted. I'm making headway slow but sure.

The burners that I was talking about in Church Point are for
high pressure propane. He has 2 sizes the small one is 21.95
and a 8 inch size for 29.99. They will have more in next week.
By the way the the name of the hardware store is True Value.
redtail28

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum