The Device (all-in-one brew system)

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

The Device (all-in-one brew system)

Postby alms66 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:16 pm

http://www.popsci.com.au/node/8916

Here it is. I mentioned this a meeting or two ago, but couldn't recall all the details...
alms66

Postby aleguy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:55 am

Interesting idea. For extract brewers who only want one or two beers on tap and don't mind dropping a huge wad of cash, this could be a good thing. I do see a few problems though. Mostly it has to do with cold-conditioning. Beer that is held at refrigerated temperatures tends to become something better. The chill haze drops out and the flavors change and blend. The Device keeps the finished beer at room temperature and only chills it as it's being poured.
You can also only do one beer at a time with this setup. A lot of us like to brew more often and wouldn't care to wait for our last beer to finish before brewing another batch.
I personally think it's better for the serious home brewer to keep brewing, fermentation, and packaging as discrete operations and not try to combine them.
This looks like a Mr. Beer kit on a larger scale.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:24 pm

Yep, I've seen this before. Said it then, and will say it again, I see cleaning/infection problems in this guys future. He gets points for trying, but much better to separate the components. All in all, seems a little excessive for extract.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum