Porter Examples

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Porter Examples

Postby jimboud » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm planning to brew a Robust Porter in the next couple of months. As a "research" project, I am sampling some commercial examples. So far, the best I've tried (which means it comes closest to the BJCP style guidelines) is Boulevard Brewing's "Bully" Porter. I got some on my last trip to Dallas, TX. In fact, I will be going to Dallas next week, and I will fetch some for the club.

What impressed me most about Bully! Porter is the fresh malty flavor. It could be I had a fresh one but still, it was great.

Boulevard Brewing Co. is located in Kansas City, KS.

Another really good Porter I tried is Pugsley Brewing's Sea Dog Porter. It was excellent, except, hazelnut flavoring was added. I tried to detatch myself from the hazelnut, but I just couldn't. It reminded me of bad Starbuck's coffee.

One of my favorite recipes for Porter came from the original book, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (1984, First Edition), by Charlie Papazian. It is called Silver Dollar Porter. Every time I brewed this beer, it came out great. I guess it is a very "forgiving" recipe.

The recipe does not appear in later editions of Papazian's book. However, I have discovered it revealed at this URL: http://www.mybestbeer.com/2007/07/silve ... orter.html

The only change I would make is to include "toasted malt" in the recipe to add a special "fresh malt" flavor. Toasted Malt is prepared by heating pale malt on a flat tray in a 350 deg F. oven for 10-15. After toasting, the malt should be removed from the oven. A distinguished member of the DYS, Kevin "aleguy" Moore, claims a 10 minute toasting time works best.

Except in a beer that is supposed to be aged, such as a "biere de garde," a "fresh" taste is desirable. When I brew my Porter, an objective is to have a "fresh" taste of malt evident to all who sample it.

Cheers!

Jim Boudreaux
jimboud

Re: Porter Examples

Postby alms66 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:50 pm

jimboud wrote:One of my favorite recipes for Porter came from the original book, The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (1984, First Edition), by Charlie Papazian. It is called Silver Dollar Porter. Every time I brewed this beer, it came out great. I guess it is a very "forgiving" recipe.

The recipe does not appear in later editions of Papazian's book. However, I have discovered it revealed at this URL: http://www.mybestbeer.com/2007/07/silve ... orter.html

I have the 3rd edition of that book and the recipe is in there, on page 311. In fact, I also plan on brewing this in the coming months.

...and I'm pretty sure the legal print forbids posting of that recipe online...
alms66

Postby redtail28 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Screw it relax and have a homebrew. I got Charlie's 3rd edtions book for my bithday.
Lookig forward to reading it.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Silver Dollar Porter

Postby jimboud » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:47 pm

I'm glad to know Silver Dollar Porter made the 3rd Edition. I saw another edition of the book and I did not see it there.

Jim
jimboud

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 pm

You probably saw the first edition, "complete joy of homebrewing". I believe the "new complete joy of home brewing" is the second edition and the "complete joy of homebrewing- third edition is the most recent.
In the second edition, Silver Dollar porter is on page 314, and the same recipe is on page 311 of the third edition. If you did see a copy without the recipe, I suspect the page was missing from that copy, either because it was torn out or because the printer didn't include it in that run. (It happens more often than you might think.)
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum