Evolution of a home brewery

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Evolution of a home brewery

Postby Imakewort » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:34 pm

I started brewing like most of us on my stove top but after a few boil overs I decided to build a brewery like I have seen in websites. I bought a 2 burner propane cooker from academy and added a raised section for the HLT, the burners were for the mash tun and boil kettle, And did all the mash recirculation by hand. The HLT water was heated in the boil kettle and transferred to the HLT which was a 10 gallon GOT cooler, and All I could do was single infusion mashes as I could not recirculate yet. After lifting hot water shoulder high a few times I added a heat stick to the HLT, and controlled the temp by unplugging it, Eventually I added a pump to help recirculate and a very simple control panel 2 switches, 1 for the pump 1 for the HLT. Then a Lauter Grant to help with sparging. I had added quick disconnects to the plumbing to aid in setting up and storing along with a couple of ball valves
Eventually I added better plumbing to control the movement of wort and upgraded the control panel and had a true RIMS system , I found that a lauter grant did not work very well and made it into a hop back, which I still use today. I finished the recirculation part inside the mash tun and still use it today , as it works great and is easy to use and clean. Removed the quick disconnect as I found they hold bacteria and added stainless flair connections, no place for bacteria to hide and they are cheap.

ImageImage
After reading about the Brutus 10 I wanted to build one, I had a welder from New Iberia build the stand and I added pilot lights and plumbed the gas and added piezoelectric igniters, used 10 inch hurricane burners as I am very impressed with them. I built a new control panel with auto sparge and manual sparge to make that part switch on and forget, dual pumps and simplified the plumbing making it modular so each section is separate but connected to make cleaning easier while brewing,and each section of tubing and valves can be put in a pressure cooker to sterilise if a infection pops up, I kept the stainless flare connections as I have not seen anything better, and kept the hop back but made it a option you can add it if you want or run without it. The hardest part about brewing with this system is getting the boil off rate where you want.
Last edited by Imakewort on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Having seen the latest incarnation of your brewery in person, I would like to assure those who haven't that it is truly a wondrous thing to behold.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:11 pm

+1

When I became active in the club and started watching
other brewers got me hooked. All I wanted was to brew
with out a stuck mash. I mean ever batch same thing,
all most gave up.
Started playing around with braided hoses,false bottoms
and even panty hose. Steve's system was the first system that I saw
that work. With the clubs help got me over the tough times.

Now I went from the kitchen to the great outdoors,
cooler to a herms system with 3 kegs and two pumps.

Evolution of the Home Brewery is never ending. :shock: If your a brewer
having trouble like I did reach out to the club they are a great resourse :D
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum