Toasted Malt

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Toasted Malt

Postby jimboud » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:03 pm

"Toasted Malt" comes from Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." It is prepared by toasting pale malt at 350 deg F. for 15 minutes. It adds improved body to a beer and a "freshness," which, in the opinion of this beer judge, adds to the beer's appeal. :lol:

Toasted Malt should not make up more than 10% of the grain bill. It is especially useful for beers which are often lacking in "fresh taste" such as brown ales and porters.

I have used it myself in making porters, and when I begin my summer brewing, I will use it again.
jimboud

Postby aleguy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:03 am

I have used it myself, and found that 10 minutes gives me a nicer flavor. But your oven may not be the same as mine. I gave up toasting malt because it was too much work for too little gain, but if it works for you, go for it. Me, I'll just throw in some biscuit and roasted barley.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 am

So are making crystal malt ?
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm

No! crystal is mashed in the kernel. you could theoretically make a bee with pure crystal without mashing at all because all the starch is already converted. What Jimboud is making is toasted malt. In my experience, the toasting doesn't really carry through to the finished beer too well. You can't really toast the malt enough without burning the husks unless you wet the grain down first, which is something I just thought of this very minute. Maybe I'll try it again. Hmm . . .
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum