Priming in a keg?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Priming in a keg?

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 am

I am about to keg and bottle (half and half) an Amber that I did 2 weeks ago and I was wondering if you guys add priming sugar to a keg? Speaking of priming sugar can I use table sugar to prime? I forgot to pick up some when I was in Lafayette and I want to do all that today.
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:17 am

Check your beersmith. Under the carbonation section, it has an option for kegged (corn sugar). Its roughly 1/2 of what you would use for bottling.

As to table sugar (sucrose), it should work as long as you measure by weight, and not volume. If not, your probably going to wind up with about a 5% error. Corn sugar (dextrose) is lighter in weight by volume.

Not that it will matter much in a keg.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:34 am

Just do it. I find that approximately 3/5 the amount used for bottling will perfectly carbonate a keg. Lately I've been in too much of a hurry to drink my beer and just force carb it.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:21 pm

How long should I leave the keg alone? At what point should I connect the gas to help with carbonation?
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Standard bottling time...approximately 2 weeks. Chill the keg prior to plugging in any gas or beverage lines. The pressure in the keg at room temp will be much higher than when its chilled. The co2 will dissolve into solution.

Once the keg has reached serving temperature, always vent it prior to plugging in the lines. In the event that the keg is overpressurized, failure to do this can cause the beverage line to pop off of the fitting therefore spewing beer at high velocity all over the kegerator/room. Ask me how I know this.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Some of us are smart enough to use hose clamps! :lol:
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Yep, but that cool silicone hose I use that doesn't stiffen at low temperatures has a bursting point of about 30 psi.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Well I guess I'm better off with the cheapo vinyl stuff after all. By the way, what did people use for beer line before there were plastics? I never could figure that out. I know they had beer engines before they had plastic tubing. (I think.) I know the kegs were kept in the cellar, but poured from the bar, at least in England.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum