First Wheat

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

First Wheat

Postby thebuddrik » Wed May 27, 2009 8:26 am

I am gearing up for my first wheat beer. I thought that I kind of had an idea of what I wanted to brew so I started reading over the BJCP. Now I am so confused I don’t know what I should brew :?
Wheat beer is not my favorite. When I go out and buy a six pack I don’t go for a wheat. I just want to brew a batch and see if it grows on me a little more.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should start? I have enjoyed the spicy ones that I have tried. I know you guys have brewed some very good ones, some award winning! :D
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Wed May 27, 2009 9:42 am

Brew what you like to drink! Make up your recipe to fit the flavor profile you are looking for and just brew it. The Yeastmeister can help you with yeast selection. Just bear in mind, Wheat beers are usually more fruity and not so much spicy. You may want to go with a non=traditional yeast and try one of the spicier Belgian abbey yeasts.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:00 am

Wheat beers are two row and wheat with no crystal if you are going for a American wheat. I'm getting ready to brew one my self. Jamil say's it' the yeast that make's it. I going to brew 10 gallons and use two yeast White Labs Kolsch and Wyeast American wheat 1010. These beer's are for the Gulf Brew I'll set up a tasting with you guy's and let ya'll pick which one get the peach extract.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby thebuddrik » Wed May 27, 2009 10:29 am

aleguy wrote:Brew what you like to drink!

I like to drink BEER! :lol:
Before I met you guys I drank Budweiser. Now I hate Bud. Everything I have tried I have enjoyed. Take me to school if I am mistaken on any of this. It is a hefe that has Banana or bubble gum, right? I thought that some of them had spices? I want to expand my brewing horizons, so to speak.
Suggest some examples for me or just give me suggestions.
Thanks guys
thebuddrik

Postby redtail28 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Yes young home brewer it is a German Hefe that has those flavors but it come from the yeast and fermentation temps
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby alms66 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 pm

Yeah, the only wheats that I've done are American Wheat and Hefe, neither of which has spices. I did do a Pumpkin Wheat once...
that was nice. :)
alms66

Postby yeastmeister » Wed May 27, 2009 5:59 pm

I've brewed tons of Hefe's, and Belgian Wits (award winning). I'm sure you have tried mine before. I'm partial to Hefe's, but Julie is partial to the Wit. Hefe's get all their flavor from the yeast, whereas the Wits get it from a combination of the yeast and some additional spices.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby positiverpr » Wed May 27, 2009 8:05 pm

+1 on the kolsch yeast if you are brewing an american wheat. if you want an easy drinking summer beer brew it with some west coast hops(amarillo/cent) for finishing and dump in a 1/4-1/2 pound of honey at flameout(most of this will ferment but you will get some honey flavor) or add some rye. i've tried multiple german hefe strains at temps from 62-68, single infusion mash and decoction and something just seems not right. probably the fact that what we call hefeweizen including ayinger here is well past its prime and has lost most of its phenolic character. hefe is the only style that i have been unhappy with in homebrewing but i tend to pick apart my beers relentlessly until i find a flaw.
positiverpr

Postby aleguy » Thu May 28, 2009 2:01 pm

Watch what you say about Bud! It's good . . . for washing yeast.
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

yeastmeister wrote:I've brewed tons of Hefe's, and Belgian Wits (award winning). I'm sure you have tried mine before. I'm partial to Hefe's, but Julie is partial to the Wit. Hefe's get all their flavor from the yeast, whereas the Wits get it from a combination of the yeast and some additional spices.

What did I try at your place that had clove or bubble gum flavor? What yeast at what temp does that? Everything I am finding has German Wheat and German 2-row pretty much 50/50. I dont think my Wheat or my 2-row is German but oh well. All I want is beer and I am sure it will turn into beer :lol:
thebuddrik

Postby alms66 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:27 am

Hefe's have clove and bananna flavor. I've heard of other people saying bubble gum, but never got that personally. You're looking for a Bavarian Wheat strain on that one, WLP300, WLP320, or WLP380 are Hefe yeasts. I haven't used any of those, I used the dry strain. Aleguy told me he's gotten good results with it, but I didn't have a good experience with it producing good Hefe flavors. It's possible that I fermented a bit too warm, which did it though.

Imperial Hefeweizen! :twisted:
alms66

Postby aleguy » Fri May 29, 2009 9:04 am

I just pointed you at the yeast that was in my first kit beer, which was Nottingham. The beer came out nice, but I wouldn't say it was Hefe.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:16 am

Has anyone here tried the Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast for a hefe? I picked some up at Marcellos, but probably won't be brewing a hefe for a long time yet.

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby Imakewort » Sat May 30, 2009 7:43 pm

the flavor of a hefe comes from the yeast, IT can be manipulated by the fermentation temp, most brewers do not want a lot of clove flavor in there hefe's. and most brewers believe that wyeast 3068 http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=135 is the only wheat yeast to use, also a bubblegum flavor in lafayettes area is usually a bacterial infection or could be wild yeast, if anyone wants to plate it out and find out for sure. i used to have it my beers till i got rid of my quick disconnects and got real careful with sanitation and cleaning.
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby alms66 » Sat May 30, 2009 8:39 pm

GuitarLord5000 wrote:Has anyone here tried the Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast for a hefe? I picked some up at Marcellos, but probably won't be brewing a hefe for a long time yet.

Cheers,
Dave

That's the dry yeast I was referring to above, couldn't recall 'WB-06' at the time.
alms66

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum