Celebrate Earth Day

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Celebrate Earth Day

Postby aleguy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:17 am

Celebrate Earth Day with a frosty homebrew. Brewing at home saves at least half the fuel used for shipping beer around. More if you go all grain. Don't forget about packaging waste and the energy that goes into the creation of bottles and cans. Re-using bottles wastes only the crown caps, unless you use clip tops. Kegging creates even less waste. Rarely needing the odd poppet or rubber seal to be replaced. A lifetime of kegging waste could probably be held in both hands. Compare that to a lifetime of drinking commercial beer.
Building your brew stand can be an exercise in re-using waste materials as well. All the steel necessary to build a stand can be diverted from the waste stream. Broken bed frames, old water heaters, etc. can be cut and welded into the stand of your dreams, saving the energy costs of creating new steel and some of the landfill space the junk would have used up. thoug it can sometimes feel as though you are in a bad episode of "Junkyard Wars."
So kick back today and enjoy your eco-freindly homebrew! :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:44 pm

If I only knew how to weld....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm

I don't know how to weld. I'm trading some homebrew for some welding. Will that affect my merit badge?
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum