Braggot Porter?

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Braggot Porter?

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Hey Guys,
I need a bit of advice for tomorrow's brew day. I'm making a braggot/porter. The specialty malt portion of the beer will have 2 lbs lightly toasted malt, 1 lb of homemade caramel malt (somewhere between 60-120 lovibond, I'm guessing), and a little debittered black malt. I got the idea to use a little black malt after tasting Zea's restaurant's Pontchartrain Porter, which is a very very good beer! It tasted like it had a bit of black malt in it, though not very much.
I don't have a lot of experience with black malt, and have never brewed a porter before, and definitely don't want to add TOO much black malt. I'd like to err on the side of too little, instead of too much. How much malt do you folks think I should use? I have 1.5 ounce of it measure out right now, but I'm fearing that it's either too much, or too little, and I can't figure out which it is! HELP!

Thanks and...
Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:42 am

Anything under 2 ounces is fine for a five-gallon batch. Since it is debittered, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You could up the quantity to four ounces if you really want to. I can't believe you enjoy Ponchartrain porter. I had some at the first Gulf Brew, and the sulphurous acrididity made me gag. Everybody likes something different, but in my mind, that beer will go down as the worst I've ever tasted, bar none.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:52 am

Thanks for the advice aleguy. After a lot of consideration, I decided to just leave the black malt out altogether. I'm not a huge fan of the taste, and don't know if it would have complimented this beer's taste, or detracted from it. Also, the possibility of using too much was very real, as I just don't have the experience to use it knowledgeably.

"Sulphurous Acrididity" eh? I didn't get that at all! I found it to be a very nice beer, and it was the only beer I've ever tasted that I thought would pair well with chocolate cake!

Anyway, to each his own and all that. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum