First Brew Question

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

First Brew Question

Postby firstbeer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:12 am

The universal kit that I bought has a primary fermentor and a glass carboy. Do I cook my wort then pour it into the primary (plastic bucket with no lid) or do I put it into the carboy with an airlock for 2 weeks? I will be getting my crawfish boiler (not the pot) revamped tomorrow to allow for connecting the newer propane tanks and plan to start getting this together next weekend.

My first beer is going to be a Russian Imperial Stout from a kit.
firstbeer

Postby alms66 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am

What size carboy do you have?
alms66

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:30 am

The plastic bucket should have come with a lid that has a grommet to fit an airlock into. If your kit came without a lid, I would bring it to the attention of Kevin. (I assume you bought your kit from Marcello's)
Generally I put my wort into the plastic bucket for three to four days then rack it into a carboy and let it finish for at least another week. Keep it in a dark place, such as a closet or cut a hole in the bottom of your box just big enough for the airlock to stick out and put it upside down over the carboy to keep light out.
It's not so important to keep light away from dark beers, but it's a good practice to maintain. Just remember to sanitize EVERYTHING that touches your beer after the boil. (Starsan recommended, though I used one-step for a long time with no problems, and it's cheaper up front.)
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 am

If you are the guy that I saw buying the True Brew Gold kit Tuesday evening then you have the same kit that I started with. After you brew and cool your wort (beer) you can put it into which ever you wish. If the lid for your bucket does not have a rubber gromit for an air lock then just use the carboy, or get a gromit. When I started out I would use the bucket for a week or so then transfer to the carboy. Not everyone goes to secondary. Happy brewing!
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 am

That's true. That's just how I like to do it. It's a lot easier to clean all the left over goo out of a bucket than a carboy.
aleguy

Postby ragin_cajun » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:21 pm

I use only the glass carboy, I never use a secondary. I don't even worry about gravity readings during the ferment. I cool the beer down, transfer into a glass carboy, pitch a 2Liter starter, and leave it for 2 weeks. I watch the air lock to be sure it starts within 24 hours, and stops bubbling after about a week or so -- FOR AN ALE YEAST. If those 2 conditions are met, I just let it set in primary on the yeast for 14 days, then I keg it. I don't make a starter when I use the Saf-Ale 056 dry ale yeast, though.

I control temperature while I ferment. Ales from 62 to 68 degrees fahrenheit depending on the yeast I"m using. If you don't have a spare fridge with a temp. controller, get one. Call Chuck's Used Appliance and get one of the older big fridges that can easily fit 2 glass carboys. Cost about $100--looks like shit--but works good.

Chill before you put wort in a glass carboy.
"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" -- Ben Franklin
ragin_cajun

Postby ragin_cajun » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 pm

If you don't use the plastic bucket, why don't you give it to me so I can use it to make mead?
"Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither" -- Ben Franklin
ragin_cajun

Postby firstbeer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:49 pm

Thank you one and all. I just talked to Kevin and he has a lid for the plastic bucket that I should have received with the kit. I'm also picking up a thermometer, a syphon pump, and some more bottle caps as I'm not at the keg stage as of yet. My wife won't allow anymore iceboxes in the house and that includes upright freezers.

"Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose." Janis Joplin
firstbeer

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:06 pm

You need to start working on her about a chest freezer for you to use as a kegerator. It may take you a few years to get to that point, but if she's anything like most of the women I've known (Not all of them, Wombatpix) it'll take her that long to come around.
aleguy

Postby firstbeer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm

Thanks Aleguy:

I picked up the lid, a thief, floating thermometer, syphon pump, another bag of caps, and a fix-x.

I hope to brew next weekend on Friday or Saturday. I asked yeastmeister to make a starter for me.[/quote]
firstbeer

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:36 pm

That's great. Hope it goes well for you. Just remember to keep stirring that pot until the foam goes away when it gets to full boil. Boilovers are never any fun and they can happen in a split second if you're not stirring. Sometimes they can happen even when you are stirring, but you can usually turn the heat down before the beer comes over the top of the pot.
aleguy

Postby firstbeer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:40 pm

"A stirred pot never boils." Anonymous
firstbeer

Postby redtail28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:10 pm

If youn need bottles I have 2 cases for you.
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby firstbeer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks redtail28; I'll let you know when I get to that stage if I need any more bottles. The kit says that I need 53 twelve ouncers.

"Only God can create something out of nothing." written opinion by Texas judge ruling in favor of a homeowner against a bankster attempting foreclosure
firstbeer

Postby aleguy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:12 am

We are all gods among men because we turn water into beer.
aleguy

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum