National Homebrew Day May 2

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

National Homebrew Day May 2

Postby Wombatpix » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 pm

National Homebrew Day is May 2. Check in periodically to see the new and exciting events the DYS will have that day!
Wombatpix

Postby aleguy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:19 am

I think we need to elect a national homebrewer! Sort of a Grand Marshall.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:01 pm

Are we doing a preview sampling of club members' IIPAs? I thought I remembered that idea floating around, somewhere . . .
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:43 pm

Yep, thats the day of our official club only competition. Bring your IIPA to be judged. Braggin rights are on the line here folks. If aleguy gets his way, the winner gets to be "official opener" for the next year (unless he wins of course).
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:01 pm

How many bottles, one will probably do right?

And, oh yeah, I'm drunk so, suck it! :lol:
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:53 am

Just bring a keg! :roll:
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:34 pm

Oops! I guess I lost track of how much IIPA I was drinking (or someone has been raiding my beer stash. I only have half a bottle excess to competition requirements.
Also, I thought the winner of the Brown Ale was supposed to be club opener. Oh well, I'll not win either in any case.
We have less than a week to go. Maybe someone should get some organizing done. I'm not really sure what WOMBATpix means by more like a festival, but as far as I know, we don't even have anyone bringing a pit. Let's get ourselves together folks!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:32 am

Organizing is being prepped.

I'm bringing the usual, water, my burner, by 9 gallon kettle, my igloo mash tun, my grain mill, my immersion chiller. I'm working with Marcellos on the ingredients and such.

If anyone has some legal keggles to bring, we can use those as well. James is bringing his brewstand.

If someone has a couple of short garden hoses lying around, that would help, all mine are extremely long.

Bring chairs, ice chests, etc. Beer for yourself, and for others to taste if you have some available. There will be new people showing up hopefully, who have never tasted homebrew before.

KATC tells me they will be there with a camera to cover the event and interview people, so dress appropriately.

The club competition is for the IIPA, only 1 bottle needed to enter. We still need to see who will judge, you can't judge if you entered. :)

Marcellos opens at 10:00 a.m. sharp, I will be there at that time. I hope to start the extract batch at 11:00 a.m., and if we can get another kettle and burner working, start heating the water for the all grain batch sometime around 12:00, otherwise it will be after the extract batch is done.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:42 pm

Ok, Marcellos has a new kit that Kevin is wanting to try, so for the kit beer, he is donating a Oaked Imperial Stout kit. The kit looks good, 2 cans of dark LME, 2 lbs of dark DME, 3 oz of oak, a couple of oz of 12% hops, some crystal, and something else dark that I forgot about.

The OG is supposed to be in the 1.082-1.086 range.

For the all grain, we are going with the big brew saison recipe so that we can participate in the Big Brew for the AHA.

Here is the recipe....
Fermentables
7.25 lb (3.3 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
2.0 lb (0.91 kg) Vienna Malt
8 oz (227 g) Flaked Wheat
8 oz (227 g) Flaked Oats
8 oz (227 g) Honey, added after boil

Hops
1.0 oz (28 g) Golding, (4.75% AA), 90 minutes (If Golding is unavailable, substitute Willamette hops for 17 IBU.)
0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertauer, (4.0% AA), 15 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) Hallertauer, (4.0% AA), at 0 minutes
¾ tsp (3 g) Irish moss, added at 15 minutes

Spices
0.5 oz (14 g) crushed coriander, 0 minutes
0.5 tsp (2 g) grains of paradise, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Curacao (sweet) orange peel, 0 minutes
0.25 oz (7 g) Valencia (bitter) orange peel, 0 minutes

So, the questions...I've got the spices, the hops, the 2 row, and the vienna. I don't have flaked wheat, or flaked oats. Honey is easy enough to get.

The yeast for this one was donated by aleguy, who cultured it up from a commercial saison, I'm growing it up now.

Does anyone have the flaked grains to bring, or can you recommend a sub? Do you think it really matters? I've got malted wheat, and malted oats, but not flaked.

Also, forgot to mention, we need 2 fermentation vessels to leave over at marcellos for a while. Do we have 2 extra carboys anywhere? Unfortunately, all of mine are full of wine and mead.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Not sure about the wheat or the oats, I'll do some research and see if anyone else is subing.
I'll offer up a carboy.
If nobody else has a spare I'll bring both, I'd just rather only give up one in case I get a chance to brew soon.
I also have a couple of short hoses that I can bring.

As Yeastmeister said, I'm bringing my brewery but I don't want to use my kettles as they are AB and Shiner.
If anybody has Sabco or non-keg kettles please let us know or else we'll just have to use the cooler-tun.
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:56 pm

Ok I'll bring 2 carboy I have 5 empty and two of my kegs have Seagrams on the bottom one hlt and mash tun so if we want to use them let me know
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:31 pm

That would be great,
Yeastmeister has the kettle covered so we should be set.
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:11 am

Sounds like everything is coming together. Seems like there's nothing left for me to bring except some bangers for the pit. Is anyone bringing a pit? I can bring some Mesquite charcoal. But my pit is too big to fit in my car but I can try if no one else has a small one to bring.
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21 am

I have a lil smokey, that's what we used at the last club brew, I'll bring it as well.
triple-oh_six

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:52 pm

I've got some flaked wheat. I believe the instant oatmeal in the grocery store is the same as rolled or flaked oats.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Next

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum