Show us your brewsystem!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Latest Pics of my Brew Stand

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Here are the pics I took today. Not much left to do, although it seems like it sometimes.

Here is a pic of the front of the stand. The suction lines and gas lines are plumbed as well as the return line to the HLT.
This pic shows the purge valve and ball valve on the second pump coming out of the MT.
This is the left side showing the second purge valve and the stub-up with cam-loc fitting ready for the male connection from the Immersion Chiller.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:04 pm

Looking good brotha, let me know when I can see it in action.
triple-oh_six

Postby redtail28 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 am

Me too I"ll bring sun glasses 8)
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby thebuddrik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:49 am

That thing is sharp!!
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Nice.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

FINALLY! 99% finished...

Postby Mob_Barley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:32 pm

After a lot of work in the heat, I'm almost finished... I just have to grind a little on the lids of the keggles, and wire the control panel. Here are some pics I took today:

Overall view.

Picture inside the MoreBeer Kettle, showing the Immersion Chiller with whirlpool connected, the Blichmann
HopBlocker and the wort return line for filling up the kettle from the mash tun.

This is the inside of the Mash Tun showing the Blichmann AutoSparge. The tube with float hanging will float and gently disperse
sparge water and recirculated wort on the surface of the mash. It should maintain the 2" of liquid
above the grain bed to keep everything floating.

I decided to plumb in my carbon filter. I can fill up the HLT with filtered water, and if I decide to add a ball valve above the tee,
I can send water from the water hose through the Immersion Chiller to get the temp down some before I add the ice to the HLT and recirculate
the ice water. This is supposed to save on ice...we'll see.
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:01 am

Awesome!
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby zeeboz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:47 am

NICE; REALLY NICE.
GREAT JOB.
zeeboz

Postby aleguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:08 am

OK, I'm floored! Just warn everyone who comes to your brew day(s) to wear sunglasses, or even a welding mask! I'm blinded by the pix. I can't even imagine what the sun glinting off all that shiny stainless would do to my poor eyeballs. :wink:
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks aleguy. I don't recommend anyone else making one like mine. I spent WAY too much, much more than I had planned on, and everything you need in stainless is ridiculously high. But, I bought it all when I was working and had the extra cash. If I had it all to do over again, I'd go with silicone hoses and make one like Yeastmeister's. I can't imagine what the testing part of this is going to entail.

I started a thread on HomeBrewTalk to see if I could get some info on how to wire my control panel without all the schematics and technical stuff, but soon realized I'm going to need some seriously qualified help with the wiring.
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:28 pm

Give Yeasty a couple of beers and he will probably have the whole thing wired before you can finish your drink.
I will say again to anyone who doesn't already have a brew stand in progress, Don't rush in. Yeasty's stand is adequate, but there are much more innovative designs in the club. I would advise everyone to avoid the jet-type wok burners that Yeasty uses. Opt for the 170,000 BTU rose burners or the 10" banjo burners instead. Build your stand much lower to the ground, and PLEASE see the fantastic ideas that Budrock, Redtail and myself have put into our stands before you start designing one for yourself.
Whatever you do, DON"T go out and buy a bunch of kettles before you talk to some more experienced brewers, the websites for those things will generally steer you in the wrong direction. (Unless you're going outlaw, but we can still give you much good advice.
the point of my rant is that we've seen the rapid evolution of the brew stand in our club over the last few years, but lately, no one is building on what we have achieved, and I would like to see virtually every new brew stand built in our club to improve on what we have already done.
Let's stay state-of-the-art in this area people. It can actually cost less than the old-school stuff too.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Yep, absolutely, I'm in for the wiring. I'm the electrical guy as well. Lets work out a time, my place or yours. Yours would be ideal however, as we can test things out in real time with the control panel.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 pm

Sounds great! Whenever you are available and want to come over, just let me know.
Mob_Barley

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:56 pm

I drew (roughly) some plumbing schematics on how I plumbed my system. I didn't really have another system
to look at, so this is all just out of my head and on to the brew stand. I haven't tested it yet, but I think it will do what
I want it to. Check it out...

Plumbing Schematic with Valves in Bold

Filling the HLT with Filtered Water

Filling the Mash Tun with Strike Water

Recirculating the Mash During Saccharifiaction Rest

Sparging While Filling Boil Kettle with Wort

Chilling Wort and Running Whirlpool

Gravity Draining Cooled Wort To Fermenter

Things are much simpler if you use the Silicone hoses and just move from one vessel to another. It's ultimately your choice.
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Ouch....thats a lot of valves to keep track of. But it looks great, and I don't see any hangups.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum