Show us your brewsystem!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:44 am

Basically, its a compression fitting with a capped off piece of copper inside. The probe goes inside the copper.

Something like one of these:
http://morebeer.com/view_product/17433/ ... 1_2%22_MPT

The copper needs to go into the flow enough so that you get enough contact to tell the temperature. Your setup will determine exact sizes and lengths. Everyones so far has been slightly different, depending on their valve setup.

Find a piece of copper that fits snugly around your probe. Find a compression fitting (they make other sizes than the one I listed above) that fits the copper you have. Then your pretty much done.

Hope that helps. Easiest way to help with the wiring is to have one or more of us come on over for a build party. I wired up mine and Reds, Steve and Zeke got together and wired theirs.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:05 am

i put my temp probe in the wort outlet from the pump directly in the mash. There is only a 1 deg difference in putting the probe as yeastmeister describes and the way I do it, but I find that it reacts a lot faster in the liquid.
Imakewort

Postby redtail28 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:43 am

He said "Party" :o
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:26 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing it done myself. I'm just afraid I would be getting in the way though. I have no plans to build anything like that for the forseeable future. I'm still working on getting my AG setup together, though i could technically do a five-gallon AG brew with what I have already. :mrgreen:
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replys, I think that helps.

I'll let ya'll know about the wiring, I'd shis weekend but the mother-in-law will be here. :roll:
You're welcome to come aleguy, but if you're gonn be in the way you gotta bring beer :lol:

Here are some new pics since I broke the links to the others:

triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:50 am

Awesome! I'm jealous. Nice hop grenade!
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:23 am

Yeah, I like the Hope cone too. I hope it won't burn off when you fire up the burners. And yes I was planning to bring beer. It might have to be store bought though. I seem to be having a helluva time finding a day when I can brew.
Somehow I seem to have a whole lot less time for myself when I'm unemployed than when I'm working. I guess everyone just assumes they can make demands on my time because I "don't have anything better to do."
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 pm

The hop grenade was etched in with a dremel, it's not going anywhere.
I thought it needed some color so I added it w/ wax.
If it does melt or wash away, it'll take me 2 mins to fix it.
triple-oh_six

BIGALES HERMS System

Postby BIGALE » Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am

My totally non-automated HERMS system. Nothing fancy yet, but functional.Image
BIGALE

Postby aleguy » Mon May 17, 2010 12:04 pm

Looks good! :D Shiniest kegs I ever saw! :D You already have a pump, so automation is just a matter of getting a controller and temperature probe. Another $40 -$50 and you're automated.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

I've been working on my RIMS a little and have been writing about it on my website. I found a source for stainless pumps identical to March 809's (in fact the stainless head is interchangeable with a March 809 pump) for $149 instead of the $395 on other sites. It is called The Chugger Pump and will be for sale soon. I posted some pics and links on the second page of my RIMS build page. Here is a pic so far and there is much more if you want to take a look on my site. I have a partial list of vendor's websites as well.

Here is a pic of what I have so far. The pumps are in, the gas control valves are in and burners are installed. I did some work on the kegs too.
I have ordered a larger BK since the 12.5 gallon kettle is dwarfed by the kegs.

Here is a pic of the gas control valves mounted on the gas beam and the pumps mounted in the housings.

And here is a top view of the center burner above the control valves and pumps.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Those control valves look like something off a gas furnace. I'm not sure why you have three, but hey it's your system. Seems to me that a control valve on the BK is completely unnecessary, so I'm wondering why you went that way? Is it so you can run two MLTs at once?
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 pm

I'd have to put a separate pressure regulator on the burner under the boil kettle since it's low pressure LP. The gas control valve with ignition module and intermittent pilot (yes they are made to go on a furnace) has a built in pressure regulator. The one on the boil kettle be switched at the control box, simply on and off. This gives me a way of regulating the pressure and safely running the BK in case the pilot or burner blows out. The setup will shut off the gas, then try to re-light the pilot light, then when it senses the pilot is on, it will then send gas back to the burner. There is a cycle where you have to wait for the gas to evacuate before it re-lights, but that can be interrupted by simply cycling the power to the ignition module.

I figured it is a safety concern. If I use my RIMS say at Marcellos, or a demonstration somewhere, and everyone is talking and no one is monitoring the burner, if it blows out then gas won't build up and well, you know, burn off my eyebrows or worse. I got the entire setup for the BK on ebay for pretty cheap. I did pay a little for the Honeywell setups for the MT and HLT which will be controlled with Love controllers on the control panel but again, it is a safety thing.

You know, I was looking at the different burner ignitiors, like the ones on BBQ pits, etc. and the various quality pressure regulators, and this was just a little more than buying quality spark ignitor and regulator.
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 am

That's odd. It looks like you have the 10" banjos on all three, but whatever. I can't tell anything from the photos. I just hope everything works out the way you want it too. You're definitely in territory that is unfamilliar to me, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Let us know how the test firing works out. There are almost always a few "teething" problems to work out.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Thu May 20, 2010 1:29 pm

They are all the same type of burner, 10" Hurricane Burners. They run on either high or low pressure, but since the control valves won't work for low pressure, I will use a dual regulator at the gas beam, and then each gas control vavle has a built in regulator to get the pressure down to below 5 WC (somewhere around 3.5 WC I think).

All three setups are the same, except that the boil kettle won't have a thermocouple and won't be connected to a Love controller. It simply controls the gas pressure to the burner and maintains the pilot light ie. it will re-light it when it goes out and senses no flame. The gas control valves take the place of the regulator and the asco valve plus add the safety of your pilot light never going out (and gas building up everywhere since it is not burning). I know it may be overkill to some, but I thought it was worth the effort to build it this way, plus my system will be a little unique.
Mob_Barley

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum