Show us your brewsystem!

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby triple-oh_six » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:30 pm

It's still a work in progress.
I'll be adding a 3rd burner to the right side at 1/2 the height.
She's pretty though.

42 Roads Bewery:

triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 am

Thats Awesome! I love the detail. How much weight did that add?
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:31 am

lookin' good, Trip. Did you ever get your chiller setup sorted out? I loved the concept, but I think you could simplify the operation by using three-way ball valves instead of hose splitters. then you would only have two levers to move instead of four. You could even build a manifold that routes all the cooling water through a central location and connect the valve handles together so you could switch from tap to ice with one throw.
I'm liking the system you rigged up better than any others I've seen, just needs some more tweaks, and maybe a little drunk proofing.
"good for what ale's you."
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:28 pm

It's probably gained 50lbs.
It's really heavy for alluminum, pretty rigid too, it is 1/4" thick though.

As far as the chiller goes, I think I'm gonna go with the sump pump like yeastmeister does. My current setup is a pain in the ass.
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:53 pm

Here is Reds system during its inaugural run on the 4th of July! She performed perfectly! The step is for me, since Red designed it for his height, I cant even see into the keg without the step.

And as a bonus for the 4th, we were partying early. Here is me demonstrating to Red that my camera was waterproof. This is arms length under water in the HLT. It was only about 107F at the time....

And once that was done, Red and I decided to take a pic of ourselves from underwater. The ripples in the water caused the distortion you see. No alterations to the photo were performed. Cool.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 pm

Looks like a total meltdown. the system looks interesting , but I wouldn't know what to do with something like that.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Meltdown yes, but what do you mean? You wouldn't know what to do with a system like that?!?! Make beer, of course....

I'll be happy to help you make one for yourself, and even teach you how to operate it. System like that, for example, gives you enough time to make stupid pictures of yourself from the bottom of the HLT.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:16 pm

It looks really big and expensive. All those electronics must have cost a mint. I think I would rather spend the money on a couple of 14.2 gallon Fermenators.
aleguy

Postby Imakewort » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:04 pm

very nice Red, looks like a fun 4th wish i could of been there. and aleguy looks like a nice simple system to me, well compared to mine.
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:53 am

The expense depends...How expensive is your time? By letting the electronics monitor everything, I open up that time for me to prepare and deal with other things around the brewery without worrying about what the mash temps are doing.

Fire and forget. For instance, if I know I'm going to run out of propane in the middle of the boil, I can start off the mash, then run to the store for propane. I come back, and its exactly where I set it. Otherwise, I would need to start my brew day sooner to get the propane before I started.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 am

Here is my brewery, mash tun direct fired RIM system controlled by PID controller, Hot liquor tank electrically heated controlled by PID controller, Boil pot recirculated thru pump system and integeral piping to prevent scorching and for the whirlpool and transfer to prevent any hot side aeration. can be run thru a hop back.all tied together thru valves and each system is modular so can be separate from the rest, hot liquor tank can be filled from the ground thru pump so you do not have to pick up water. Wort transfer to mash tun to boil pot to fermintation tank is sealed from the outside

Imakewort

Postby aleguy » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:07 pm

My brew day is pretty simple. when I go all grain I'll be using a picnic cooler mash tun, so altering the temp is basically out of the question unless I want to do decoctions. As for running out of propane, now that I have two tanks, I just refill the empty one when it runs out.
I already take care of other brewing related things as I go along, even with my current system which requires me to fire up the burner every seven to ten minutes in order to maintain temperature. Anyway, I enjoy the process. If I wasn't on top of it, my interdimensional porter would have gone down the drain instead of becoming what it is, though I'd like to give it more time to age.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:37 pm

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with simple. You've seen my igloo setup...its what I used to make the gruit on, and about 40 batches before I went higher tech.

What really got me to switch is the ability to do step mashes. Some of the styles I like really benefit from them. I tried everything to get the numbers I wanted, infusions, decoctions, etc. I never could get a standard mash temperature reaction. Probably because I was switching styles and grain bills every batch. If you make the same thing over and over, then you can dial it in. Its usually months before I cycle back through to the same batch. The repeatability factor in step mashes is why I switched.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:52 pm

How does everyone have their controller probe set up?

It looks like a few or all of you have it coming off the ball valve, can anyone tell me what I need to get to do that, or if you have a better option let me hear it.

Also, I'll be trying to wire up everything soon, can someone post a pic of the inside of their control box?
I'd like to do a main power switch, 2 switches for the asco's, and 2 switches for the pumps (I'll eventually be getting a second pump).

Thanks,
triple-oh_six
triple-oh_six

Postby triple-oh_six » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:34 pm

Bump

Anyone,......Bueller, .......anyone

semaj0006 wrote:How does everyone have their controller probe set up?

It looks like a few or all of you have it coming off the ball valve, can anyone tell me what I need to get to do that, or if you have a better option let me hear it.

Also, I'll be trying to wire up everything soon, can someone post a pic of the inside of their control box?
I'd like to do a main power switch, 2 switches for the asco's, and 2 switches for the pumps (I'll eventually be getting a second pump).

Thanks,
triple-oh_six
triple-oh_six

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum