Seems I got a little too high

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Seems I got a little too high

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Well, I'm still trying to dial in on my cooler mash tun. My mash started at 155 degrees F. I was shooting for 154. After a one hour mash, the thermometer read 158. Does enzymatic activity generate that much heat?
So my O.G. came out to 1.120. Fermentation has been sluggish.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:17 pm

Nope, I've never had enzymatic activity raise the temp. My guess is that you either had the water too hot, or maybe didn't stir enough. I typically, give mine a good stir, close it up, let it sit for 2 minutes, then open it up and give it another stir. If I only stirred it once, I could literally put the probe anywhere in the mash, and get any temp reading I wanted.

Eventually, once I got my system dialed in, I stopped checking the temps, and just trusted what beersmith told me.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:18 pm

I think this IIPA is gonna be sweeter than soda pop. I guess I'll have to try again. My problem at the moment is i don't have enough fermentation space to do another batch until this one is done.
I'll probably donate to my brother and his friends. (They'll drink anything that has alcohol in it.)
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:08 am

Don't write it off just yet. If you aerated/oxygenated extremely well (for the high gravity wort), and made enough starter (for that high of a SG you probably needed to step up the starter), then it is probably just in the lag phase still. Too many variables not mentioned, but if you feel the yeast health was compromised somehow, you can always make another starter, step it up, and add it before the alcohol gets too high. You can also move it to a warmer place to ferment and/or add a little nutrient to give the yeast a boost.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:00 am

I don't think the problem will be the high gravity. I think the problem is my mash temperature was too high leading to a huge amount of unfermentable dextrins and very little in the way of fermentable sugars.
Part of the reason my OG is so high is because I threw in a bunch of DME and table sugar to the boil kettle to ensure I had at least some fermentable sugars. I'll be surprised if this beer finishes much below 1.060.
aleguy

Postby aleguy » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:50 am

Okay. So I forgot to take a terminal gravity reading. I guess I'll have to let some beer go flat and warm overnight so I know what it is. I tried it for the first time last night. Sweet, but not as bad as I had feared. 120 IBUs goes a long way to cutting the sweetness down. I may not know what the %ABV is, but I can tell you it is STRONG! :x
It really needs a couple more weeks in the fridge to clear. (It's cloudy and bright orange right now.) But I will bring some to the meeting anyway.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Postby redtail28 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:28 am

I tasted you IIpa it's not bad but it' a little sweet for my taste you maybe right it may need more time
" Jeder muÃ? an etwas glauben, und ich glaube, ich trinke noch einen."
redtail28

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:49 am

Terminal gravity was 1.046 which calculated out to 9.7% ABV. It is way too sweet. Time won't fix that, only blending with a very dry batch can fix that. I would have to brew a batch and mash at something like 144 degrees for two or three hours and then blend the two batches when the other was done.
Way too much work since I've already brewed an IIPA that should be about right. I'll find a way to get the first batch consumed. A lot of people seemed to actually like it that sweet. (Yech!) I don't really like it, but I can still drink it.
Sorry I wasn't brave enough to taste your ass beer.
Never trust a skinny chef, a sober brewer, or a cat with thumbs!
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum