Moving into the "Brew Room"

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Moving into the "Brew Room"

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't have a new Brutus 10 setup to show ya'll. I'm still brewing with my 10 Gallon Gott Coolers. Instead, I spent my money (and a considerable amount of time and more than a few cuts, pulled muscles, smashed fingers, etc.) on a new brew room. Originally it was supposed to be a cold room but now it's more like a brew room, where I house my winemaking, meadmaking and brewing stuff. I can probably get it down to the low 60's but haven't tried yet. It started out just a shell with all our junk in it. I put R30 in all the walls and in the ceiling and then put Reflectix (to reflect thermal energy; the same stuff used in coolers) on the back of all 4x8 sheets of particle board before screwing them to the walls and ceiling. Finally, I put down reflectix on the concrete floor and installed cheap laminate flooring on top. It's a work in progress, but at least I have almost all my beer/wine/mead stuff out of the house. Did I mention this was a collaborative effort with my wife. She was highly motivated though since she wanted all my beer stuff out of the house by Christmas.

View of back corner
Lots of stuff. Kegs ready to make new system, stainless shelves.
Bulk grain in blue containers and tasting table.
Lab setup.
Temp controlled freezer with fermenting Am Amber and
lots of commercial beer.
Fermenting beer with brew belt. Fridge set at 48 deg
and fermenter set at 62 deg w/ digital controller for
fermenter on side of fridge.
Look to other end of the cave.
Kegerator, computer and library.
Beer, mead and wine making library.
Specialty Grains and misc parts.
View of doors and air conditioner center left. Oh yeah, that's Marlin and Melvin above the doors.

The room is 21'x6'. I had planned on brewing in here but now it has way too much stuff and no room, plus I'd have to install a vent. Just about all I have to do now is install laundry tub with water and drain to the outside. I may still build a wine rack to get the hundreds of wine bottles of wine out of my wife's linen closet (now a wine cellar). I never knew I had so much wine and beer stuff until you bring it all together in one place.
"Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of good beer."
Mob_Barley

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:04 pm

Very Nice! Thats an awesome setup. :mrgreen:
Last edited by yeastmeister on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Awesome setup, but it looks very tight. It sounds like you put a vapor barrier on the inside. I thought VBs were supposed to go on the warm side, which is the outside around here. Oh well, I'm sure you know what you were doing, I'm just a little confused about exactly how you put it all together.
Anyway you have an awesome brew cave. I might be just a tad jealous.
aleguy

Postby Mob_Barley » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:55 pm

It wasn't intended to be a vapor barrier so much as an extra R5 of insulation. The thermal reflectivity was a plus. If I had planned on making a wine cellar, I would have considered putting up a vapor barrier since the humidity would/should be around 70%. The insulation was encased in plastic, so I figured that would do.
Mob_Barley

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Nice mancave, I'm jealous.

Very organized just like I like it.
triple-oh_six

Postby Imakewort » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 am

nice set up :D I started out using the gott coolers to brew in and boiled on my stove till the 3rd boil over, then bought a outside rig that i have using till this new one, Keep it up and brewstrong :lol:
Mad dog Brewery
I am not afraid to go fast, it's the crashing and burning that sucks
Corporal BN army
Imakewort

Postby Mob_Barley » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:49 am

I've always brewed outside. Lately I've started doing multiple infusions since I can't directly heat the coolers yet. My next project will be a steam injection system for the coolers. It should be simple to do and I already have most of the stuff. This way, I can put a controller on the burner and maintain a set temp, or ramp up the temp, just like the grownups do on their systems.
Mob_Barley

Postby aleguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:01 pm

I don't know about steam injection, but a HERMS could certainly work with a cooler tun.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum