infected

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

infected

Postby aleguy » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:59 pm

I lost my siphon on a batch of beer awhile back and I put the last of it in a one-gallon jug and forgot about it. when I went back to bottle it a couple of weeks ago, I found a dozen or so gnats floating in the airlock and a thin pellicle floating on the beer. Whatever spoilage organism got into the beer didn't give it the sours, it gave the beer a sort of banana mango flavor, but the nose is far stronger than the flavor. What is it? and can I use it somehow? It's kind of interesting once you get past your expectations.
I also lost a whole batch of oatmeal stout to a Lactobacillus infection. My fault . also related to the previous problem. I've regressed to storing everything that came into contact with the infected beer in iodaphor. please tell me I don't need to get more drastic than that. I don't want to use chlorine and if I have to replace all may equipment I'm about ready to hang it up.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:10 pm

No way to tell what it actually was. Sounds like you may have gotten lucky and picked up a decent Louisiana Lambic. Save me some, and I'll see if I can culture it up and at least give you an idea if its bacteria or yeast.

One word. Starsan. Don't fear the foam. Everything I have gets bathed in the stuff (including me) before it touches the wort. If you were using starsan, and still got infected, I think you missed soaking something. I've got 30+ batches using starsan since I switched from iodaphor and all has been good. I always hated the way iodaphor turned everything I had brown. Nope, you shouldn't need to change everything out (although hoses may be an exception, I change my hoses once a year), sounds like you got it under control now.

Put some starsan in a spray bottle, and use it liberally all over everything during the brew. Its a no rinse sanitizer.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks. The lacto infection came from my starter. (I mistakenly used a jar that I had previously used for sourdough starter and apparently didn't clean it well enough) that I'm sure of. The wild whatsit clearly came from gnats that drowned in my airlock, and what's left of it is all yours.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum