group gruit

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:58 pm

I brewed a batch of beer using only yarrow (so, its actually gruit, I guess) and today I racked it to secondary and put some oak chips in it. I gave it a taste while I was racking, and I have to say, it really is an amazing herb. I used a half ounce for 60 minutes, and a whole ounce for 30 minutes. The bitterness of the brew is very satisfying. I would reckon it at about 20 IBU's or so. There is definitely some flavor, but its kinda subtle, and not at all offensive. All in all, I like it very much. If fact, my wife positively loved it.
I dont know how bitter you guys like your brew, but 2 ounces for 60 minutes might be a bit much, if you are adding any other bitter herbs (or possibly not, for such a high gravity beer).
I dont think I would dry herb with it, as the flavor might overwhelm the brew. Certainly, the aroma would. I would probably use it only for bitterness, and I certainly will use it in some of my future brewing.
This experiment has really gotten me excited about gruit! I hope you guys have great luck with your brew!

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Ok, now that we have the 3 "true" gruit herbs on hand, here we go.

10 pounds pale malt
1 pounds crystal malt
3 pounds pilsner malt
4 pounds Munich malt

Mash at 156F for 60 minutes

All herbs crushed in a mortar & pestle
1 oz Yarrow - 60 minutes
1 oz Yarrow - 30 minutes
.25 oz Wild Rosemary - 10 minutes (Thanks bjwayne!)
1 oz Sweet Gale - 30 minutes (Thanks GuitarLord5000!)

Ferment at 70F with Nottingham for 2 weeks

Transfer to secondary.
into secondary, add
1 oz Yarrow - Dry herbing
And to simulate barrel aging.....
.25 oz White Oak Bark - Dry herbing
1oz Medium toast french oak - Dry herbing

Let it age in an open carboy (zero pressure, sterile filter inline to allow slow oxygen transfer, real oak barrels allowed oxygen transfer) for up to 6 months.

Brew date is April 5th, after or during our club brew (the club brew is an extract, so I don't think its gonna take very long, depends on how much help I get as to if its durin or after). All are welcome to attend! Its going to me an educational event, and general meet and greet for people we may not know in person.
Last edited by yeastmeister on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby triple-oh_six » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:45 pm

I got a fitting for my "small" pot. I'll bring it if you still need it.
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:43 am

If you don't mind, yep, we still need it.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:15 pm

sounds good to me. I was pushing for a true gruit all along. let's brew it. I'll be along at ten if I can. I'll bring the book you requested as well. anything else you need?
aleguy

Postby triple-oh_six » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:23 pm

10:00 lol......yeah, not quite, I'll be there, but closer to 11:00....ish.
Friday after midnight is my drunken video game time. :twisted:
triple-oh_six

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks guys for volunteering equipment. I'm bringing my kettle, burner, propane bottle, mash tun, 15 gallons of water, and a 90 quart ice chest full of ice.

If possible, I need semaj0006 to bring his pot, and burner to use for the club brew, and is aleguy can bring his old pot (7 gallon if I remember right) and maybe a burner, we can use that to heat strike water for the gruit mash.

We can do it with just what I am brining, but then we would need to do them in series, rather than parallel.

I also need igor to bring 10 gallons of water (both he and I have the same RO filter system)
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:48 am

Agh...It doesnt look like I'll be able to make it. Im offshore right now, and will likely be here a coupla weeks. Wish you guys well, though.

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby triple-oh_six » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:06 pm

I'm going to bring my double burner if it'll fit in my truck. If not I'll bring my regular one. we should probably have some extra propane on hand.
I'll also bring some misc. stuff in case we need it.

Oh and most imporantly, you should all bring beer :wink:
Prost,
tripple-oh_six
triple-oh_six

Postby aleguy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:41 pm

I'll bring my pot as well as my burner. we may not need it, but better an embarrassment of riches eh? I'll fill up my propane tank as well. should I bring my immersion chiller? Or do you think the worts will be far enough apart? with the price of copper right now it makes me a little nervous carrying it around, though I don't expect a smash-and-grab at Marcellos.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:39 am

Hmmmm....I'm almost thinking not using the immersion chiller on the gruit, just to keep more in line with the historical taste perspective. I'm thinking maybe just immersing the entire kettle in ice water. The kettle that I am bringing, I know I have a bucket big enough to do that, and I have done so before. Its not as effective as the immersion chiller, but it will cool the batch. Back when gruit was first brewed, thats the best they could probably have pulled off.

I'm bringing one immersion chiller, but if you want, you can bring another one, and we can discuss it onsite if we are gonna use it on the gruit or not. Its a group brew after all.....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:55 am

yes bring your immersion chiller, can we hook a pump to it so we can whirlpool it? I can bring my grain mill and my aerator, I can also bring my boil pot if we need it.
Imakewort

Postby yeastmeister » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:00 am

Unfortunately, my pump is hard mounted to my brew stand now. Not as portable as yours.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Imakewort » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:14 am

I can bring mine it works better with my boil pot though,
Imakewort

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:07 pm

After taking another look at the proposed herb schedule, I have a few last minute thoughts.
First of all, for such a high gravity, sweet wort, I would think that you would want a bit more bittering potential than 1 ounce of Yarrow at 30 minutes. I would suggest upping the amount and boil time of the Yarrow. Perhaps 1 1/2 or even 2 ounces for an hour (if you plan to boil that long).
Secondly, the Sweet Gale I gave you was, unfortunately, not particularly aromatic. It may not be quite as fresh as I would have hoped. At 30 minutes, you may end up boiling off more aromatics than desired. You might be better off with a shorter boil time of 15 or even 10 minutes.

Anyway, those are my $.02.

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum