.25oz Hyssop - 30 minutes
.25 oz Angelica - 30 minutes
.5 oz Wormwood - 10 minutes
.5 oz Lemon Balm - Flameout

.5 oz Calamus Root - Dry herbing
.5 oz Mugwort - Dry herbing
.5 oz Sage - Dry herbing
1oz Medium toast french oak

Let it age in an open carboy (zero pressure, sterile filter inline to allow slow oxygen transfer) for up to 6 months.

I'm not set on any amounts, I just sort of put them together, feel free to modify the quantities....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 am

Sounds good to me, except for the part about allowing oxygen to get at the beer. We have better technology now than the early gruit brewers. even then beer was aged in large wooden barrels with walls (staves) thick enough that litle if any oxygen got to the beer prior to serving when the bung was opened to relieve negative pressure. I think it should be treated the same as any other modern brew except for the recipe. By the way, how did you come up with the herb schedule? it looks like you're just using what you've got in your pantry.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:27 pm

Sort of, I don't have any objections to the schedule changing, thats why I posted it and asked for input. Suggest some changes, and we'll go from there.

As far as o2 goes, well, there are several historic styles that actually are supposed to get a little oxygen into them. Flanders Red is something that I am making right now that is one of them. Barrels actually do let o2 through them. There is lots of stuff on the net about how to calculate the correct amount. Closest I have found is by using a tapered oak bung in a glass carboy. I'm not that handy with wood, but when Zeke gets back, I'll ask him to make me a couple. I seem to remember reading somewhere that gruit was one of the styles that actually got some benefit in taste from a little o2.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby aleguy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Well it seems to me the white oak bark in the boil might provide more astringency than you might want. I think either leave it out or put it in with the lemon balm. I'm a little leary of the calamus too )ever taste calamine lotion? yech!) but if you think it'll be okay then i defer to your judgement. Anyway, I'm looking forward to tasting whatever comes of this experiment.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:50 pm

aleguy wrote:Well it seems to me the white oak bark in the boil might provide more astringency than you might want.
Very true, and something I hadn't considered. Perhaps it would be best to leave it out of the boil altogether.
I'm a little leary of the calamus too )ever taste calamine lotion? yech!)
I have never tasted calamus, and the reference to calamine lotion made me pull a Homer Simpson (doh!). If that is indeed what calamus tastes like, then I would MOST DEFINATELY leave it out.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to tasting whatever comes of this experiment.
Please post notes when its done!

In place of the Calamus, perhaps bring back the Yarrow for dry herbing? Having never tasted Yarrow though, I have no idea if this is a good idea....
GuitarLord5000

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:56 pm

Maybe it would be a good idea to bring your herbs to the next meeting for everyone to smell and taste. That would give the group as a whole a general idea of what should go where in the herb schedule. (ie - Why use an herb in the last 10 minutes of the boil for 'aroma' if it smells horrible. Why dry herb for flavor if the herb has an unpalateable taste.)
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:05 pm

Yep, I can do that. I'll bring samples of everything to the next meeting.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby Lonnie Mac » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi fellas!

I have read this thread two times now... Simply fascinating! Makes me want to join in on the phun! I am a bit off here in Houston... Home is Baton Rouge though. Maybe yall can take me in as a distant member and Moonbeam and I can make a meeting or two throughout the year!

This brew sounds soooo great... Great idea! May have to try it from a distance! I would LOVE to try this brew with you one day!
Lonnie Mac

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:41 am

Absolutely Lonnie! Consider yourself a member, I've grabbed so much information from your website, your more than welcome here. I'll be sure to save you a bottle or 2 for when we do see you.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:06 am

Well, thanks to bdjwayne, we now have some actual Wild Rosemary to add to the mix. I'll be reformulating the herbs based on the input from the meeting, and the latest addition. I'll post something new here later on tonight. I'm thinking of making this at our club brew on April 5th in addition to our actual brew. Not for the Gulf Brew, but for our own consumption.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:32 pm

Oh hell. You've got Yarrow and Wild Rosemary, you might as well go with Sweet Gale too. I placed an order at Wildweeds today. I will donate an ounce of Sweet Gale to the cause. An ounce should be plenty for a 5 gallon batch. I'd imagine (seeing as how its usually sold in 2 gram packs) that it may be too much.

Anyway, once it comes in, who should I get in touch with to give it to?

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Wow! That so awesome! This is truly turning out to be a group project! Drop me a line. I'm the keeper of all the herbs.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:49 pm

Sounds good. I'll PM you once my order comes in.

So, what kind of input did the brew club give you for the herb schedule? Inquiring minds want to know!

Cheers,
Dave
GuitarLord5000

Postby aleguy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:08 pm

I withdrew my objection to calamus root but still maintain the white oak bark is too astringent to go in the boil. by the time the herbs came out I was a little beyond paying attention to what else was going on, but I do remember many people were taken with the Mugwort.
aleguy

Postby GuitarLord5000 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:36 pm

There should be no problems with putting the white oak bark in the secondary though, right?

I can't wait to hear what kind of herb schedule you guys come up with.

Cheers
Dave
GuitarLord5000

PreviousNext

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum