False bottom ??

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

False bottom ??

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:42 am

I am trying to disign a fals bottom so I can get a qoute on what it would cost to have made. I have run across some pictures of "slit style false bottom" as opposed to just a bunch of holes. Does anybody know the dia. and legnth these slits would need to be?
Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:24 am

You want your apertures no larger than 0.018", 0.016" would probably be best. Any larger and you get too much grain through. Any smaller and you can't get high gravity wort to go through.
aleguy

Postby thebuddrik » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:15 pm

aleguy wrote:You want your apertures no larger than 0.018", 0.016" would probably be best. Any larger and you get too much grain through. Any smaller and you can't get high gravity wort to go through.

That is very small. :? 1/64th is .0156" The slits that people put in tubing for a mash tun is 1/16 or larger. I have seen the false bottoms that people are using and the holes arnt that small. I was thinking that at the smallest the holes would be 1/16".

This is what I was talking about. I cant find this for sell anywhere.
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Nope. The slots in my copper slotted-pipe manifold measure 0.018", and I still get some flour coming through. Igor had a problem awhile back and he fixed it by putting 40-mesh stainless screening over it. I measured the 40 mesh openings at 0.017". The flow is fine through my manifold, I just used it Sunday, so the wort goes through just fine. I just wish I didn't get so much flour through.
I certainly wouldn't go any larger than 0.018". Finding a saw to cut the slots was the hard part. I finally went with an X-acto type back-saw from Hobby Lobby. You might consider a circular slotted-pipe manifold that could work in an Igloo cooler or a keggle. It would be incredibly easy to make one.
aleguy

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum