All Grain ???'s

Forum for all brewing related questions and information

Moderators: triple-oh_six, yeastmeister

All Grain ???'s

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:23 am

Is it possible to do an all grain batch with only one pot?

What size ball valves and bulk heads do you guys use?

I will probably think of more later.

Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby yeastmeister » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:27 am

Yep, thats how I started. You use your pot initially as a HLT, heat the water, put it in the mash tun. Drain the mash tun into another vessel (I used to use a standard bucket), when sparging is done, transfer the bucket contents back to your initial pot and continue on to boil.

1/2" full bore bulkhead valves. Better to have more flow than not enough, especially if you may implement a pump later on....
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Postby thebuddrik » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:50 pm

I am trying to figure out what I should go with in my mash tun. The bottom of my picnic cooler is about 15 1/2" x 10" of flat space. How should I figure out how large of a false bottom or how long of a S.S. braid I should use. Am I correct in thinking that if I go to big it will affect my efficiency and too small could leave me with a stuck sparge?
Someone enlighten me or tell me that I am over thinking this.
Thanks
thebuddrik

Postby aleguy » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:06 pm

SS braid such as the Yeastmeister uses in his picnic cooler is the fastest and easiest way to build a mash tun. The only thing you really need to worry about is having holes/slots too large so grain gets through. The rest is all about efficiency, which at the homebrew scale is really inconsequential, maybe a pound of malt difference per five-gallon batch from worst to best.
The hard part for me was getting the wort from the inside to the outside of the cooler. I finally broke down and bpought an XL thru-bulkhead fitting, but packing the hole with gaskets around a pipe with ball valve attached on the outside seems to work too.
In the end, whatever you come up with will probably work, as long as it doesn't leak or allow grain to pass.
aleguy

Postby yeastmeister » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:51 am

A standard piece of hose is all thats needed. Any length. Gravity basically will take care of the rest.
yeastmeister
Site Admin

Return to DeadYeast Main Forum